Tanto Aikuchi Silver Koshirae

Here is my latest purchase, unfortunately the blade is in bad shape... is it a UNOKUBI ZUKURI shape?

The Habaki and all other fittings are in solid silver with simple but nice Katakiri bori engravings.

Mei on nakago seems to read HinaMitsu.

Is there any ways to know which Hinamitsu swordsmith it could be (there are 7 generations  of Hinamitsu)

What about the Koshirae, you think Edo or Meiji? I believe there is a space for a Kogai or maybe a small Kogatana?

IMG_5608.JPG

IMG_5609.JPG

IMG_5610.JPG

IMG_5633.JPG

IMG_5634.JPG

• Like 1

Both the tanto and the koshirae have a late Meiji feel to them.
I would suspect out of those listed, it would be by: (Just a guess)

HISAMITSU (久光), Keiō (慶応, 1865-1868), Dewa – “Shimizu Ise no Kami Tenseishi Rai Hisamitsu” (清水伊勢守 天聖子来久光), gō Tenseishi (天聖子)

• Like 1

I have read some articles on baleen wrap and can confirm this is the material used on my tsuka. Very good remark Robert! Thanks for pointing that out. Unfortunately some parts are missing…

i paid 900 € for this set, I hope this was a correct price.

On 4/19/2022 at 2:19 AM, Tsubafan said:

Is there any ways to know which Hinamitsu swordsmith it could be (there are 7 generations  of Hinamitsu)

Yanchen - The shinsa process is exactly the same as in Japan - the personnel are exactly the same as in Japan, they will just be in Burlingame this time around. No one should get us confused with the NBTHK - we are much more a collector focused organization, in every instance we attempt to provide attributions to particular smiths, including generation and time period, we do this even if an item is rejected...

• Thanks 1

Many dealers will just pass these along as is, but often, like yours they are worthy of some TLC.

This will cost money, and you may well not end up making a profit, but on a personal satisfaction level there is plenty more reward than a fistful of crumpled dollars. It will keep rewarding you every time you look at it. :thumbsup:

PS I have something somewhat similar which I sent for polish, then sent for papers, and for which I recently had a shirasaya made. Some people said I was crazy, but that did not worry me. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/18/2022 at 11:19 PM, Tsubafan said:

What about the Koshirae, you think Edo or Meiji?

You can see by the wear by understanding long term cleaning esp silver, if indeed silver. This  Koshirae has been taken care of very well over many decades of cleaning suggesting some thought of it be of great value, "to the owner". With that said, 50 to 100 years of cleaning.  

On 4/18/2022 at 11:19 PM, Tsubafan said:

IMG_5608.JPG

IMG_5609.JPG

IMG_5610.JPG

IMG_5633.JPG

IMG_5634.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..