Worth 790,000 YEN?

Infinite_Wisdumb

Omori work   +  a daisho of two tsuba

I haven't looked up the name.

Throw in some shills by the seller, or two guys dueling for it, and I can see it getting there fairly easy.

These would look great mounted.

• Like 1

He seems to shill a bit too.  I like his stuff, I don't know if I have ever successfully bought from him.

I think it has reached the point where I hesitate to even bother bidding on any of his listings.

EDIT:     Cr@p.   I didn't realize the auction was still live. 

Jesse,

Omori Hideuji - he's buried in the middle of their genealogy chart (one of teruhide's "spare" sons) - an actual omori guy, but apparently not a big name.  I don't know how he stacked up vs. Terumitsu - there's probably a story there since Terumitsu was the 5th son and Hideuji was the second (and was passed over as the successor).  Maybe he died young or something (don't have time to dig out the Haynes to see).

omori_hidehide_geneaology.thumb.jpg.7efd19ab437e569856d814104c1029c6.jpg

I also saw a chart where the 4th son (Hidetomo) was also labeled as Hideuji, but maybe that was a typo, the guy changed his name, or... But I digress. 

It looks like decent enough work, and it is a daisho, but its not the greatest omori work I've ever seen.

That said, there doesn't seem to be a lot of good kinko work available/offered up in public forums these days.  Between that and the yen going down vs. the dollar (and, of course, the aforementioned shill bidding) prices of anything even halfway decent seems to be getting bid up up quite a lot.

And yeah, on top of the rampant shill bidding, the purveyors of these higher end pieces seem to love to cancel auctions unless the piece gets bid up to ludicrous prices, cancel auctions and through it out with a buy it now for a day at an even more ludicrous price, etc - Teabagg-er, prince_de_darjeeling is another one that does stuff like this - I don't even bother bidding on his stuff anymore as well.  Too Bad JY doesn't seem to have a reserve price system - it would save everybody a lot of time/grief if you knew your bid was actually going to be accepted, but I digress...

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

• Like 4

To follow up on what Richard said about lineage, Sesko also notes that it is unknown why Teruhide’s 5th son (Terumitsu) became the successor. However, in The Japanese Tōsō-Kinkō Schools, Sesko speculates that whilst it is unlikely that the first four sons died, “Maybe his oldest or the first two sons died young and it turned out that Terumitsu was the talented one of the remaining sons” (2012: 186). 

Another factor to add in to the price is that the kanteisho was Tokubetsu Hozon. As with swords, tokubetsu papers make a significant difference to the value of tōsōgu. However, it seems a bit much for what it is. As others have mentioned, it’s a nice daisho set of Omori work, and of a good standard, but a not a particularly prolific artist. Yahoo seems to be getting closer to Dai Token Ichi prices these days, though without the possibility of negotiating   

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..