Star stamped Ww2 traditionally forged

Pippo

Pippo,

Great gunto!  Munetoshi was one of the primo sword makers in the RJT program (correct me if I'm exagerating @george trotter).  Your fittings are unique with the black painted saya (scabbard).

Star-stamped blades often have double latch release buttons, one on the fuchi (handle collar) and one on the saya throat collar.  Does yours?

Also, many of his blades have stamped numbers on the end of the nakago (tang) or on the back edge of it.  Does yours?

Also, any date inscription on the other side?

Traditionally made blades tend to be more pricey on the market.  Normal officer gunto run around $1,400 USD whereas a nihonto or gendaito can go into the $2,400 range or higher.

Bloody awful auction house with their continual postponing and poor listings as they failed to point out that the blade wasnt " in good condition with slightly rounded point" as per description. Condition was actually full edge ground off/removed. Breaks your heart. Whoever they paid to to their final listing did a crap job.

• Wow 2

12 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Pippo,

Great gunto!  Munetoshi was one of the primo sword makers in the RJT program (correct me if I'm exagerating @george trotter).  

Hi Bruce, He and his brother Akihisa were important RJT smiths in Niigata, but I can't say if they were "super special" as all RJT had the same resources and presumably, the same output?

Phil said the tip had been ground off, so maybe not a primo price here?

Regards,

• Thanks 1

George, it wasnt just the tip..full edge gone, youd be weeping if you saw it, thought it would be worth a stab a the price it went for but he omitted to add this major defect. Ive seen a few of these aussie souvenired blades where they return home and grind the edge down so little johny does fillet his sister. 

If your in the area pop in as picked up a dozen Japanese and australian swords out of boulder that habent seen the light of day in 40years, still covered in grease and dust as havent had the chance to clean yet (still no scabbard yet though)

• Sad 1

Hi Phil,

Yes I spoke to Jamie at the fair last week and he said you guys had picked up some goodies and I should drop in and have a look.... I'll pop in after the Easter rush has died down a bit...maybe mid-week or later.

See you then (not sure I can bear to look at a "ground down" RJT sword...).

Geo.

On 4/17/2022 at 12:59 AM, Bruce Pennington said:

Ok, that's just not nice!  Now we're all going to have to wait to see what you've got!

Heres a easter egg taster of the swords out of the 40 year old box.

1 more week looking after kids for holiday break and ill start pulling out and sorting.

20220418_081330.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..