HUGE mune inscription, and mei, Please!

Thats a neat one -

Bishu Sakai? ju Kanemitsu

2603 years from the founding of the nation - made this for certain victory in the Great East Asian War? The last is something sword, so maybe auspicious? can't see but I am sure someone with better eyes will...

cool.

-tch

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChrisW said:

A wonderful find Bruce!

Thanks go to Okan, he found it, but I know what you mean!

Looking the kiri (Paulownia flower) in Fuller's book, he said:

"Originally used by the Imperial Family but given to senior officers to denote their high rank.  Found on naval kyu-gunto and parade sabres of Flag Officer (Admiral) rank, Diplomatic swords of Chokunin grade (appointment personally approved by the Emperor) plus the swords and dirks of Senior Railway Officials, the Imperial Household and Government-General of Korea"

I don't know if that is the significance of this kiri, or if the flower held other significance for the Japanese aside from this.

1 hour ago, uwe said:

“八幡大菩薩” (Hachiman Daibosatsu). Interesting blade, indeed!

Thanks Uwe!  Google searched:

"Hachiman is commonly viewed as a Japanese god of war but he’s mostly worshipped as a patron kami of warriors and archery, and not of war itself. The archer kami was initially worshipped near-exclusively by warriors and samurai but his popularity eventually extended to all people in Japan and now he’s also viewed as the patron kami of agriculture and fishing as well."

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..