Koshirae parts questions

Mark S.

Hi All,

I have several questions regarding the koshirae that came with the Masahiro blade I recently posted about in the Nihonto section.  Please excuse my ignorance and inexperience regarding these items, so my comments are coming from a gut feel.  In general, the whole package feels like a mix of put together (low quality) parts and an abused saya.  My biggest overall question is at what point do collectors part something like this out vs saving it ‘as is’ as a part of the blades ‘history’?  The LAST thing I would want to do is someday regret not keeping it together… but if there is no point and it is too far gone or of little consequence to matter…

I’ll break this up into several posts.  Any comments on the individual items or the whole ‘conservancy’ issue are appreciated.

Tsuba was described as a “shinchu tsuba formed as a chrysanthemum, partially pierce carved and finished in gold nunomezogan”.  Couldn’t really find anything similar (finish-wise) on-line.  Doesn’t seem well constructed or finished?

7CC99D25-AAA9-4E1A-B31D-F6B6C6C0CC0D.jpeg

71E61E2F-5A39-48E4-AB99-5AA2129B610D.jpeg

The tsuka is 23.5cm long and feels more like a katana tsuka, however blade is 52.3cm and heavy, so maybe it is right?  Not in great shape.  Menuki appear to be copper and in fair shape.  A kettle (tetsubin) of some sort?

91C198EA-62C3-46A9-B548-EA18353D2857.jpeg

BD0CE87A-989A-4CC2-B8DD-F716B94FCC6B.jpeg

5E2A0E42-3238-4A86-A570-1DE61FED8D4F.jpeg

Your gut feeling is absolutely correct. Low quality parts, including a low quality and unloved saya. The tsuba is an unknown vintage, and possibly/probably not too much older than 100 years? Fuchi/kashira look to be oxidized rather than done with a tsuchime finish. All in all, the koshirae doesn't offer much in the way of historically interesting or aesthetically pleasing components. The split in the saya means it doesn't function well as a sword protector. 

So this leads to your other question, which comes up from time to time, but has a range of opinions so there is probably no consensus from the board. Personally, I feel this kind of ensemble has minimal value as an historical artifact, and almost no artistic merit. Some people feel that splitting up any ensemble is a form of vandalism. But I can't see anything in this set that informs me or educates me about the sword or its owner.  So as far as this sword is concerned, don't spend too much time worrying about the keeping the integrity of the ensemble. 

If the sword itself is decent, and you want to keep it, get a shirasaya made for it (and set these parts to one side). Then, spend the next few months convincing yourself and your bank account, that spending even more money on making a new koshirae with nice fittings is a great idea, even though its probably (almost assuredly) a money-losing labor of love. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SteveM said:

If the sword itself is decent, and you want to keep it, get a shirasaya made for it (and set these parts to one side). Then, spend the next few months convincing yourself and your bank account, that spending even more money on making a new koshirae with nice fittings is a great idea, even though its probably (almost assuredly) a money-losing labor of love. 

Made a temporary newspaper shirasaya for it because I could see no good coming from the split wood saya.  Blade is a 1st generation Hojoji Tachibana Masahiro wakizashi (no papers yet but mei looks pretty close to documented examples). 

I’d be quite happy with a future shirasaya.  No plans to build a whole koshirae for it.  Bringing to Chicago show for review.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..