Shirasaya with windows in the tsuka?

Hello all, 

I found this Rai-school blade with a kinpun-mei over at e-sword.jp, and am puzzling over the curious windows cut into the handle.  Why was this done?  All I can think of is that this was intended to keep the kinpun-mei from rubbing off when the tsuka is removed/replaced—but It seems like there would be simpler solutions, like recessing the interior portions that might make contact with the mei.  Is this a common modification?

Regards,

Richard

(https://www.e-sword.jp/katana/2210-1040.htm)

DB10659B-F125-43B6-A28C-A4E51FA26F4D.jpeg

B05A2DB4-03F4-4256-849A-1F6C34547FDF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Dear Richard.

Well, there's always something new!  I think you are right, it is intended to protect the kinpun mei but rather than risk cutting away the bearing surfaces f the tsuka this way the mei can be viewed without removing the tsuka at all.

(I see that Jon and I are thinking along the same lines. :thumbsup:)

All the best.

• Like 4

Kind of an interesting innovation. Somehow, it seems to show off the saya-maker's woodworking ability better than it shows off the sword. 

I can't imagine a collector who would just want to look at the kinpun mei without looking at the actual sword. So the owner ends up removing the sword anyway. I guess this way there might be less wear-and-tear on the nakago?

Anyway, interesting and cool, even if I'm not completely sold on the usefulness. 

• Like 2

Imagine a kantei session - you allow your guests to examine your sword blade with the nakago covered - once all the bids are in you remove the "covers" and everyone can see the attribution - you only need to remove the handle once a year for cleaning...

I had a friend in Japan with a Sadamune with a Shumei - he had a special order tsuka and wooden habaki that would "clip" onto the nakago rather than slide on and off. And Richard I would say this is not common...

-t

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..