Japan: Courts and culture in the Royal collection

Last Thursday (8th April) Michael S and I were able to attend the opening of this excellent exhibition. Set in three rooms of the Queens Gallery in Buckingham palace there are over 150 pieces from the Royal collection. The majority are gifts given to members of the Royal family by the Japanese imperial court. The earliest being one of the two armours given to James I in 1613 by the Tokugawa Shogun. Many of these works have never been on public exhibition. As one might imaging the quality is outstanding and there are examples of arms and armour, metal work ceramics and prints all of the very highest quality and many with an intriguing history. 

For any members who may have reason to be in London in the next 12 months I would strongly recommend taking the time to visit this exceptional and unique exhibition. detals can be found on the attached link

https://www.rct.uk/collection/themes/exhibitions/Japan-courts-and-culture/the-queens-gallery-buckingham-palace

• Like 5
  • Love 4

Just as a taster of what we saw:

- a dainty tanto described to be by Rai Kunitoshi in splendid koshirae (all the blades were in visually flamboyant and richly decorated koshirae) but unfortunately we could not fully evaluate it due to angle /lighting and tsuka being on. Notwithstanding, the uchizori and overall sugata and what little we could see of the hamon were all indicators in the right direction. 

- a daisho, in which the daito is reportedly by Rai Kinimitsu (but the blades were sheathed). 
- gensuito (“field Marshall) sword which is the only one outside of Japan. 

- there are 4 Edo period armours and the James I gift is by an Iwai armourer. All in excellent state of preservation. 

- there are several ceremonial yari with long raden poles and apparently the small sample on display was from a much larger lot of 30-40, which had been painstakingly restored by RCT team. 

- naginata, tachi, etc

The quality of the lacquerware is sublime. There are scrolls, screens, letters, Komai metalware, beautiful bronzes - all of superior workmanship as it behoves presents from one royal family to another. 

The exhibition is definitely a must-see and ardently recommended. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Unclear on the photography. Given that we were at the formal opening and talking to contacts and colleagues and curators, we did not engage in any photo-taking. Even some of the organisers could not tell us but I suspect they were being polite. 

• 3 months later...

Finally got round to visiting today. Underfloor air conditioning was good. Plenty of interest.

Yes, photography is allowed, it seems.  :ph34r: (Probably only mobile phones though, looking around, and no flash…?)

Lighting on most of the blades was unfortunately not good...

1805AAFE-DFFB-427F-B96A-5F0F69734B17.thumb.jpeg.81d51605a68a1339c45a0315221a9c8c.jpeg

9449E0A6-5AEA-41AD-A704-AA1B85A4ACB2.thumb.jpeg.8b58a95e7a359517b1357baf1e9e2200.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..