Looking for more info on this late Edo period tsuba

JSA

Hi everyone,

I'm still getting my bearings on swordsmiths, let alone tsuba makers, and I'm having a hard time finding information on this beautiful piece. Every new bit of information would be extremely helpful, but here's what I know so far about it:

Chrysanthemum theme (duh!) and made of iron, the inscription says Suifu Jyu Tamagawa Yoshihisa (水府住玉川美久). If I'm not mistaken, he was a blacksmith from the late Edo period, he was born in the 10th year of Kyoho (1725) and was the son of the first-generation Yoshinori. He founded the Tamaga school in the Mito domain (today’s Ibaraki prefecture), and it flourished during the late Edo period.

Tokubetsu Kicho Certified, it was submitted to the NBTHK Tochigi branch and issued on October 30th in the 46th year of the Showa era (1971).

Voilà! Comments and appreciation are also welcome. Thanks and a great weekend to everyone!

Suifu Jyu Tamagawa Yoshihisa_Front.jpg

Suifu Jyu Tamagawa Yoshihisa_Back.jpg

Suifu Jyu Tamagawa Yoshihisa_Inscription.jpg

• Like 1

Similar designs in the Metropolitan Museum of Art -  91.1.819  and  the Cleveland Museum of Art - 1919.539

Metropolitan has theirs as by :

Masayoshi (正義), first name Sadashichi (定七), was an Edo-based artist active at the end of the 18th century who had studied with the Masakata (正方, ?-1774), the third master of the local Bushū-Itō (武州伊藤) School.

Chrysanthemums.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JSA said:

Wow. The ressemblance is uncanny! Not the same smith, but same period. Should I be worried that mine is in such great condition compared to those 2?

No.

The museums should have taken better care of theirs.

Yours is quite lovely. The best of the 3.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..