Wakizashi Tanba fujiwara no kami Terukado second blade purchase

Paz

Hi all. My first wakizashi,  second nihonto. 

My reason for buying. 

I wanted an Edo period blade, which was signed and with hozon papers. And was bit more wider in terms of motohaba,with a reasonable price. 

The blade is Kanbun era  and has a mei. 

The blade is 54 cm making it an O wakizashi, and 3cm motohaba. No koshiare, and chu kissaki,  koitame hada.

I apologies if the photos aren't great was really struggling with light due to time of day. If you like to see more please say so. But please go easy on me, its my second blade and I am a beginner with nihonto.

Kind regards 

Paz

Screenshot_20220407-125704_Instagram.thumb.jpg.4ba6c6a14a6bc7157266a6e55458381a.jpgScreenshot_20220407-125414_Instagram.thumb.jpg.32fbe4de9f1880b9270cc95f101377f2.jpgScreenshot_20220407-125414_Instagram.thumb.jpg.32fbe4de9f1880b9270cc95f101377f2.jpgScreenshot_20220407-125155_Instagram.thumb.jpg.21903db757dab2efa76e4a82fb324fba.jpg

• Like 7

Dear Paz.

Well no one else has jumped in so I will.  Nice sword!  And as it is papered to confirm the mei even better.  As there is only the one man signing in this way you can pin it down fairly well, no worries about multiple generations in different areas.

Do you have some information on him?  If not then let me know and I will send you what I have but Sesko's Nihon Shinto Shi is your friend here.

All the best.

@Geraintand @Matsunokithank you both for your kind words. 

I have done some decent research on Tanba. There was a thread on the forums from last month which had some info. From my own research he was from Mino province and had moved to Edo later on in life. One of his blades was owned by Isami Kondo,  and he also made swords in southern barbarian steel (dutch steel ) Nanban tetsu. 

He was part of the yoshisada school Mino. 

@Shugyosha of course John, I will try and get some more  for you by Friday.  The second photo is better.  I'm happy to post up the Oshigata, if you wish to have a closer detailed look of the hamon shape. 

20220414_194158.jpg

20220409_184430.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

"he also made swords in southern barbarian steel (dutch steel ) Nanban tetsu. "

"Southern barbarian" was the original (Chinese) meaning, but by the Edo period, I believe its meaning had evolved to just refer to Western Europe (especially Spain and Portugal at one point).

I'd think of it more as "imported steel" rather than any particular country as the origin, from what I've read.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..