Cutting Tester Mei with Kakihan (Kao) - A Survey

I've gotten interested in collecting the kao (kakihan) of cut testers.  I have 4 on file now, and they have a particularly unique style that sets them apart from swordsmith kao.  They all have horizontal lines on top and bottom and the writing between at casual glances seem the same, but with tiny variations to fit each tester's name, I suppose. 

If anyone has cut tester mei other than these 4, please post.  I'd like to study them further, and collect their kao. 

Also, there has been a book mentioned on a thread somewhere that is about kao, in general.  If anyone knows the name, please post.  I probably need to get a copy.  Thanks!

Rokubei 1650                            Narihisa 1660                             Yoshizane (date?)                           Hisahide (date?)

686195983_Screenshot2022-04-08072915.jpg.9e50f6b8bb4495342896a2f9417b8e23.jpg955344177_Screenshot2022-04-08074233.jpg.1df20eaa520ac86f00989e721436d5e8.jpgYoshizane.jpg.7d5c1ae31a8a6d357e9732a054be6356.jpgCutterHisahide.thumb.jpg.dfafc890dc54757d9f31b16a23212f04.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Thanks @Ed, appreciate it!  On that Hisaie, I have that one down as "Hisahide".  I know the translation of these can vary, but here's the reference (I don't know what book this came from):

Bruce,

You are correct, that is Hide. Not sure how that typo was never point out or corrected before now.

Best,

Ed

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bruce, here is one from collection.  The translation is:

Futatsu do Kiri' which translated means ‘2 Bodies Cut’.  It further reads 'Jinken Jueimon Shigetsugu' with a kao (his seal).  This translates to "Shigetsugu, sword tester".  Hitomi Dembê Shigetsugu 人見伝兵衛重次 (寛文 Kanbun is the actual translation.  (I think I have the correct picture here)

image.thumb.png.9705c950de40f2bb220e429db8bafdfa.png

Here is a Wakizashi  @Bruce Pennington

山城守藤原國清 - Yamashiro no Kami Fujiwara Kunikiyo

寛文六年五月四曰 - Kanbun 6th year, 5th month, 4th day

山野加右衛門尉永久 - Yamano Kaemon no Jô Nagahisa

貳ッ胴截断“Cut through two torsos with one stroke” 

kunikiyo-yamano-kaemon-nagahisa-konzigan-mei-2_0.jpg

kunikiyo-mei-kiku_0.jpg

This thread will inevitably lead to discussion of gimei tameshimei.  Gimei tameshimei are (I think, sample of two) hirazogan rather then inlaid in good calligraphy.  Also later in the Edo period tameshimei were simply engraved like a regular mei and it is arguable how these can be verified as true.

I used to collect tameshimei too and will add them here as I find them in my paper photocopy database. 

BaZZa.

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 2:16 PM, Bruce Pennington said:

GAD ZOOKS!!!  Is there no end to fakery?!  Hadn't even considered that.  However, all I've been interested in, really, is their kao. 

I think a certain amount of caution is justified with anything likely to inflate the value of a blade. If not signed and sealed in an inlaid mei, with a sensible test cut by a verifiable tester, then look away. 

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..