Question about Masamune tempering pattern

kkeeps

Yes, in other top level Soshu and Soshu derived work, eg Go, Sadamune, Yukimitsu, Shizu Kaneuji. How the elements are rendered and how the jiba works overall (hamon plus jigane plus hataraki) is where the experts go in detail in order to attribute to one or another smith. But there are works where in can go one way or another and some works could be Masamune or Go, or Masamune or Shizu etc. There are swords which have moved between Masamune and Yukimitsu (a tanto comes to mind) and some between Masamune and Go (a wonderful katana) in which Tanobe sensei said “this would have gone to Masamune if it had not been for the ichimai boshi’, etc. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 8:29 AM, kkeeps said:

I see. I am trying to find similar oshigata to the Ogaki, but this is the only one I've come up with so far. Thanks Michael!

If you wish to see current photographs of Ogaki Masamune, copy and paste the kanji into twitter. There are a few photos. 大垣正宗

If you are searching to see if you found a lost Masamune, some say this one is lost.

(Sakakibara Masamune)

Stephen T.

SmartSelect_20220409-113549_Gallery.jpg

Thanks Stephen. I focused on the Ogaki because a sword I have replicates the pattern I highlighted. I'm sure its not a Masamune (I'm not that lucky) and was looking for leads on other smiths who may have copied the pattern.

I have a gif that shows the ogiba just to the left of the light source and it also has the thin spike and mountain shape on the other side of the blade.

I asked about the blade last year in the thread below and shows an overall picture of the blade.

6brjxu.gif

2 hours ago, kkeeps said:

Thanks Stephen. I focused on the Ogaki because a sword I have replicates the pattern I highlighted. I'm sure its not a Masamune (I'm not that lucky) and was looking for leads on other smiths who may have copied the pattern.

I have a gif that shows the ogiba just to the left of the light source and it also has the thin spike and mountain shape on the other side of the blade.

I asked about the blade last year in the thread below and shows an overall picture of the blade.

6brjxu.gif

Hey thanks for the explanation.  I don't see any ogi-ba. Do you have a clear still picture of the area you think is ogi-ba?

Also, may we see the boshi?

Stephen T.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..