Interesting Heian Tsuba with Shakudo Mimi and inserts

Infinite_Wisdumb

Hi Everyone

Picked this one up recently at auction.  I have never seen shakudo inserts and a mimi on a Heian tsuba before, thats what drew me to it.  Interested in any thoughts on modification long after forging, other examples of Heian tsuba with Shakudo, basically more education.  The mimi is unbroken with no visible seam.

IMG-0884.jpg

IMG-0885.jpg

• Like 2

They could be later additions, both the gan-kin and fukurin.

It is difficult to say if they were original to the piece. I have seen some cases were the fukurin was added to disguise damages to the mimi. 

In my collection I have a daisho of Bushu-Ito tsuba with added silver fukurin to disguise corrosion damages.

Regards

Luca

I have an Ito guard where the fukurin was removed because it caused corrosion damage. Some metals just react badly. 

Jesse if you are looking for a joint seam it should, as a rule be at the bottom just under the nakago-ana, the nawame [rope] design on yours would help to disguise it.

image.thumb.png.6c0083f584702c35728441df344f397d.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..