Tameshigiri , two cutting tests

Tengu1957

6 hours ago, Stephen said:

Absolutely...lives for debate just like he did before. I see another time out coming.

Stephon - anytime Brian well let me talk to you about that Bizen you sold, I'm ready.

Will Brian let me debate you without the Mob mentality? Just me and you publicly.

I can't find the praying hands so :Drool:

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

We can discuss others if you like, same offer. 

What is your agenda here ? 

Annoying respected and respectful people will not produce anything but potential action against your account. Is it truly necessary? 

Also, it is great to offer a perspective as long as you do NOT INSIST everyone accepts it JUST because of your logic. 

I have to say the majority of your posts carry a provocative and negatively connotated approach just for the sake of an endless argument which most certainly Will NOT produce any long lasting, positive, educational result. So why bother?

I'm not here to pass judgement or tell you how to convey yourself however the majority of your statements are off topic as I once stated already. 

So dear John Wick, have a beer and a shot on me and chill the F out. No need to pinch the mamba's tail - you might get bitten.

Cheers to better future endeavors!

P.S. it's hypocrisy to suggest logic when the majority of your actions are completely unrelated and illogical IMHO.

Johnny

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Darkcon said:

What is your agenda here ? 

Annoying respected and respectful people will not produce anything but potential action against your account. Is it truly necessary? 

Also, it is great to offer a perspective as long as you do NOT INSIST everyone accepts it JUST because of your logic. 

I have to say the majority of your posts carry a provocative and negatively connotated approach just for the sake of an endless argument which most certainly Will NOT produce any long lasting, positive, educational result. So why bother?

I'm not here to pass judgement or tell you how to convey yourself however the majority of your statements are off topic as I once stated already. 

So dear Musashi, have a beer and a shot on me and chill the F out. No need to pinch the mamba's tail - you might get bitten.

Cheers to better future endeavors!

P.S. it's hypocrisy to suggest logic when the majority of your actions are completely unrelated and illogical IMHO.

Johnny

Why didn't you PM me and we could have a conversation rather then "personally" insulting me??? 

Why am I here? Why don't you PM me and I tell you. 

Ok Johny where would you like to start? I'm more than happy to have a civil conversation with you and be a mature person. PM Sent! 

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Why didn't you PM me and we could have a conversation rather then "personally" insulting me??? 

Why am I here? Why don't you PM me and I tell you. 

Where is the insult?

Because you address many publicly.. but it seems you have a problem when many address you. 

Why wouldn't you just choose to have everything transparent ?

Where's the logic?

I'm putting it to rest as all of it is just another innuendo. 

Godspeed, I'm out

J.

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

Now that baba yaga has brought this subject up. 

Are we right to assume that if a sword say from the early warring periods ( muromachi or ww2 ) has more than 2 holes in the nakago, indicating that's it been shortend. 

Then the original owner died or was killed and the sword found a new owner who then shortend it ? 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Paz said:

Now that baba yaga has brought this subject up. 

Are we right to assume that if a sword say from the early warring periods ( muromachi or ww2 ) has more than 2 holes in the nakago, indicating that's it been shortened. 

Then the original owner died or was killed and the sword found a new owner who then shortened it ? 

Doesn't mean anyone died, could mean a few other passive things like the size of the person changed. The sword was shorten, because of damage. etc. etc. .

Ubu., one mekugi-ana with a sho-shin mei is the best, however their are exceptions. 

Tengu1957,

Please keep on showing your collection and hopefully more details of the blades as I'm sure all would appreciate and hopefully these lyrical deviations appear as shallow as they are!

Cheers.

J.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 5:43 AM, Bugyotsuji said:

BTW

Fashions and laws sometimes dictated the shortening of swords. Historical necessity.

It is my understanding, which could be mistaken, that WWII swords had particular length standards, which lead to nihonto being shortened in some cases.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 8:27 PM, Ronin 47 said:

I think the notion that Nihonto were "weapons first art object, way after" is a very Western reading of a Japanese art object, as where Japanese aesthetics would certainly not make any such clear distinction.

I would amend that to say that statement to be a modern, industrial Western reading of a Japanese art object.

It wasn't that long ago when Western weapons were simultaneously tools and art that were often given spiritual significance.

Thomas Simpson Flintlock Rifle

Edited by dschumann
added a few words.
  • Love 2

There is a school of thought that says from the 1600s onwards, in the peaceful and Golden Era of the Tokugawa/Edo Period, beauty had ample time to establish itself over functionality. Of course there were exceptions.

By the same token we could say that prior to that, Japan had a long internecine past where functionality had to be of primary importance. Naturally we then remember those famous pre 1600 lords who collected rare, mythical and beautiful blades.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I acquired another cutting test blade but I'm not sure if I will post it after this. I think it's fair to say during the Edo period armor lost a lot of it's functionality because it wasn't being used. During the mid 1700's sword making dropped off because of the lack of demand and interest . Tameshigiri was the only real proof of the functionality of the sword. The Shogunate encouraged it and if you read about the systems in place to manage it , it did establish a rating system of performance. It's always reminded me of contemporary people who will spend $100K on a sports car and never drive it over the speed limit vs. those who own one and take it to a track and drive 160 MPH. It can be appreciated for beauty and functionality ! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Tengu1957 said:

I acquired another cutting test blade but I'm not sure if I will post it after this. I think it's fair to say during the Edo period armor lost a lot of it's functionality because it wasn't being used. During the mid 1700's sword making dropped off because of the lack of demand and interest . Tameshigiri was the only real proof of the functionality of the sword. The Shogunate encouraged it and if you read about the systems in place to manage it , it did establish a rating system of performance. It's always reminded me of contemporary people who will spend $100K on a sports car and never drive it over the speed limit vs. those who own one and take it to a track and drive 160 MPH. It can be appreciated for beauty and functionality ! 

No, keep those $100K sports car owners off the track and the streets. It never goes well! 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

25 minutes ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Some years ago up at the circuit I had the pleasure of overtaking not one but two Ferraris! It went well for me that day! :ph34r:

Was it a GT-R?

Hehe

This thread went kaboomzies..

J.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Darkcon said:

Was it a GT-R?

Hehe

This thread went kaboomzies..

J.

Obvious you don't understand what it takes to drive on a regulation track. It's called a "Racing License" and their are degrees of License.  How do I know this, ever hear of Outlaw Racing? What kind of name is Dark-Con? 

• Downvote 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..