Omiya Bizen Tachi #2

Tengu1957

Koto O suriage Tachi
NBTHK Tokubetsu Hozon FB_IMG_1649018562471.thumb.jpg.f7312f8fa83915e1ce18d97aa2832b24.jpgFB_IMG_1649018529004.thumb.jpg.c4d8649239ab46dfd1aa3e0b51a73091.jpgattribution to Bizen Morishige circa 1350 Nambokucho jidai
68.6 cm
Omiya Den made swords from Nambokucho to Muromachi jidai in Omiya in Okayama city.
The founder of the school was Kunimori who is said to have come from Yamashiro provence. It has an elegant Tachi shape typical from late Kamakura to Nambokucho.

FB_IMG_1649018517819.jpg

FB_IMG_1649018573821.jpg

FB_IMG_1649018552399.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello Gary,

Sure would be nice to see all of these stunningly beautiful swords that you have been posting as of late, in the Sashikomi style of polish. Hadori just hides too much detail of the grain structure.

I'm aware that Hadori is the current accepted style, and what is expected to be seen today by the NBTHK. Too bad the age of the sword doesn't dictate the style of polish, instead of the current trending fashion.

Of course that is simply my opinion and personal preference, I mean to take nothing away from your extremely fine collection.

Please by all means, keep making us all jealous of your collection by displaying more of your offerings.

Mark

On 4/3/2022 at 7:40 PM, MHC said:

Hello Gary,

swords that you have been posting as of late, in the Sashikomi style of polish. Hadori just hides too much detail of the grain structure.

I'm aware that Hadori is the current accepted style, and what is expected to be seen today by the NBTHK. Too bad the age of the sword doesn't dictate the style of polish, instead of the current trending fashion.

Mark

Been in this for a few decades +. I find the accepted new style Hadori polish coyote ugly. JMO

• Downvote 1

One cannot generalise about hadori vs sashikomi. Certain swords look better in sashikomi and others - in hadori. Furthermore, there is heavy-handed hadori and there is light, respectful hadori and also a myriad in-between depending on a polisher’s ability, artistic sense, experience, interpretation and so on. 
And lastly, hadori is not new and has been around for centuries. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Gary has posted three sword so far today.

Each one is garnered some kind of negativity don't know what's going on here folks.

Personally found all the pieces he's posted thus far quite attractive(I'm jealous), including the cutting tests. Would gladly accept any of them in my collection. For free of course 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Each one is garnered some kind of negativity don't know what's going on here folks.

Grandma used to always say you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all.

I wish.

I think the most honest statement is - I personally can't see anything in any of these pictures. These are probably good blades. 

The kitchen counter appears solidly build and well cleaned.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Grandma used to always say you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all.

I wish.

Is it time for a Cain, or Walker?;-)  Maybe watch a John Wick movie:rotfl:   I know nothing:laughing:

• Downvote 2

18 hours ago, Stephen said:

I wish.

Just jealousy, simple as that.

Edward

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..