Some restoration(cleaning) pictures from the shipwreck tsuba

I know they will never be in a great condition but I did my best to clean them and will continue. It took a while but I finally started to see some improvements.  I know I over did the one with the birds(there is also a crescent moon behind it, probably silver, would love to see it in its best condition) Some of them are very good for some study purposes. 

_DSF2681.JPG

IMG_9334.jpg

_DSF2734.JPG

IMG_9330.jpg

_DSF2452.JPG

IMG_9327.jpg

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Don't you love it when something almost destroyed gets a new chance on life again?!!  Keep up the good work!

Well that's a very slight chance but yes it feels great :) Thank you the Bruce. 

• Like 1

The TSUBA on the first photo appears to have been a HEIANJO style one. My impression is that those TSUBA with inlay are especially difficult to restore, and with very few exceptions, most of these TSUBA are lost to corrosion as far as market value is concerned.

However, the sad story behind this 'collection' might be interesting.

14 minutes ago, ROKUJURO said:

The TSUBA on the first photo appears to have been a HEIANJO style one. My impression is that those TSUBA with inlay are especially difficult to restore, and with very few exceptions, most of these TSUBA are lost to corrosion as far as market value is concerned.

However, the sad story behind this 'collection' might be interesting.

Yes most of the collection is very difficult to restore and I don't care about the market value..I'm not trying to restore them to sell..(that being said, I'll sell or giveaway the hopeless ones, maybe someone would like to use wrought iron or study metallurgy)

6 hours ago, Fuuten said:

Hi Okan, 

Great to see you haven't given up on the lot! Any chance of seeing a close up on the elephants?🤔🤞

Your elephant is  being rusted in the bathroom(intentionally) before its green tea bath :) need to fill those gaps first.

IMG_9231.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bugyotsuji said:

By the way, what kind of wreck was it and why would there be a collection of random Tsuba on board? Someone sailing home from Japan?

I've been trying to find out an answer to that same question...9 or 10 of the tsuba in the collection is mixed up with the wreck as there is no sign of salt corrosion on them. But the rest were eaten out and I had removed small sea shells from their nakago ana..(funny story: couple of days ago I removed another small sea shell, turned out it was copper decoration, covered with rust)

Maybe they were found after a tsunami..don't know...but the deceased owner's daughter says it was a shipwreck.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I see Waves as well...

Did you try the method i shared in PM?

Not yet :) I'll try that in a couple of weeks where I'll have a garden to do it. I didn't want to try that inside the house. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Nothing that's scary don't go freaking out, just involves a heat gun vinegar and peroxide and hot boiling water but I don't blame him wanting to do it out in the air.

Process is just before mid way...when the tsubas on the hook.

• Like 1

Strangely enough, Will, I bought a tsuba the other day and as I was paying I told the dealer “No need to wrap it; I’ll pop it into my jeans pocket!”

”Don’t do that!” he said. “It will bring up light lines on the edges of the mimi…”

Well now, here was a counter-balance to think on.

PS My comment above was based on Okan’s rather shadowy photo. The Tsuba surface did not look 👀 hard and smooth enough to me, but it could have been a trick of the light.

1 hour ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Strangely enough, Will, I bought a tsuba the other day and as I was paying I told the dealer “No need to wrap it; I’ll pop it into my jeans pocket!”

”Don’t do that!” he said. “It will bring up light lines on the edges of the mimi…”

Well now, here was a counter-balance to think on.

PS My comment above was based on Okan’s rather shadowy photo. The Tsuba surface did not look 👀 hard and smooth to me, but it could have been a trick of the light.

So I’m thinking it depends on the condition of the tsuba. I think the shipwrecked ones need a lille rump lovin’. 

🤡

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, WillFalstaff said:

So I’m thinking it depends on the condition of the tsuba. I think the shipwrecked ones need a lille rump lovin’. 

🤡

No they need a miracle :)

Just kidding, they just need some time as I need some knowledge and experience. 

• Haha 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..