Masahiro Update - Hagire Heartbreak

Mark S.

Original thread was 

New Blade 1 - Hojoji Masahiro

So I was studying blade under bright light and came upon a heartbreaking discovery… hagire :(  Blade was from auction so no misrepresentation from seller.  I just didn’t see it.  Overall still a nice looking blade from a good smith (if shoshin).  Just so disappointing.  About 1.5mm deep and 5mm long. Pics of both sides.  I need a drink.

68C88386-AE53-4FC6-9AE4-3508541FBDE1.jpeg

972AE69F-F2CC-4C8E-9DD2-03ABA8466C41.jpeg

• Sad 1

I guess I was using the term hagire to define what looks like a crack that shows up on both sides of blade.  Looks like edge may have struck something hard and crack goes in both directions?  Will ask more knowledge members at Chicago show.  Hopefully Mr Benson or Woody will be attending as well to discuss ‘options’..

+1

Definitely not hagire and even if this forging flaw chips off you still have plenty to polish as it appears the hamon is pretty high up. That's what I see/think.

Pour a drink, I'll take one too

Johnny

• Haha 1

All,

Thank you for talking me off the edge.  Still gonna have that drink though :laughing:   It was just so discouraging because I was looking at the ashi and starting to find classic midare-utsuri in the right light and what looks like mokume hada in the bohi, and other activity, and then turned the blade just so in the right light was like… “hey… what the $&@$&! is that!!!!”  And then panic set in.  I’m sure many of you have been there before.

PS… and by ‘more knowledgeable’ I mentioned above, I in no way meant you gentlemen are not knowledgeable (nor did I mean any disrespect).  I simply meant there are many very experienced people there who will have direct access to the blade.  I trust and appreciate all of you here.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..