Help with mei on beat up Type 98

Hello-

I just picked up a sadly quite rough ?type 98 and would appreciate any help with interpreting the nakago. I tried my best and believe it is Showa-July 1936?? for the date but likely am way off. The length from tip to tail is 35” and sadly the blade is a bit pitted and oxidized. I did lightly clean with alcohol and oil but that’s as good as she gets. The fittings seem nice but are missing the Tsuba and have considerable patina. Let me know what additional questions you have. 

kindly,

Justin

D9010DE2-907D-4B33-B0BB-1557419990A9.jpeg

Hi Justin, the smith name is "Kanemitsu - 兼光", there is other Kanji near the Habaki area which may have been added by the officer. The condition isn't completely terrible, looking at the Hamon and lack of arsenal stamps....very likely Gendaito. There were quite a few Gendai smiths under the name "Kanemitsu", you can search through them here and see which one is a good match to your Mei: http://www.jp-sword.com/files/seki/gendaito.html    (CTRL+F Kanemitsu)

@JustinJustin - Looks like you were trying to show us a mark on the back edge of the tang?  Can you enhance that photo?  Are there any punch-marks dots near the end of the nakago?  Any numbers at the end?

There was an RJT Kanemitsu but the blades I have on file are later, like 1944.  I realize there were often several smiths working during the war that used the same art name, so this guy might not be the RJT Kanemitsu.  Just worth checking for the other markings.

Like John said, I have found that the blades stamped with the large Seki stamp, like yours, are quite often really nice blades with great hamon.  Maybe they used another steel other than tamahagane, which put them in the "non-traditional" showato category, but they all have the appearance of being made traditionally.

I have a RJT star stamp gendaiti By a Seki smith, and it does have a small Seki stamp.

It is comon on Seki gendaito to have the tiny Seki stamp. 

I think there is a difference in meaning between the standard Seki stamp and the tiny one. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bruno said:

I think there is a difference in meaning between the standard Seki stamp and the tiny one. 

There was.  The large Seki stamp was used by the Seki Cutlery Manufacturers Association to mark quality showato.  They can be found from 1940 to '45, but the massive majority of them are seen in 1942.  The Army took control of sword production and oversight in '42, and the Nagoya Army Arsenal inspectors began using the small Seki stamp.  For a long time, it has been believed that all acceptance stamps indicated the blades was non-traditional, but we have seen many acceptance stamps, to include the small Seki, on RJT star-stamped blades.  So, it's evidence that the arsenal inspector stamps are more likely simply acceptance stamps approving them for the war.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! Once again thank you to everyone for their help and input. It’s interesting how much history can be gleaned from one orphaned sword. 

The photo of the back of the tang was specifically to show that there are no stamps or markings. I did however reevaluate and I see no other punch marks, dates, dots or other markings elsewhere on the nakago except as already seen. 

please see additional pictures. 

Kindly,

Justin

70422BD7-74B1-437A-866F-8D1D9DC776A7.jpeg

61C13BA0-8E10-41B6-A1DF-89B1BFE91F01.jpeg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..