Swordsmith's Temple Memorial name?

Hi all,

I need the help of a fluent Nihongo speaker as I am not sure of my translation of a postumous honorary name in a temple in Koriyama Fukushima.

Tsukamoto (Shinshiro) Masakazu, a WWII RJT smith from that city died 5 Feb 1969 and (if I have read the kanji correctly) is commemorated in the Zendoji Temple in Shimizudai in Koriyama.

The words shown here say (if I understand the reading properly) that he was given the posthumous name "Shinyoshi Shuseikyo Shi". The name includes 2 of his true name kanji (Shin and Shi) but I would like to know if my translation is correct and is the actual meaning/reading of his 'honour' name.

Maybe @Nobody Moriyama san can check my translation ...or...?

It would just be nice to have these details.

Regards,

Tsukamoto Masakazu RJT.jpeg

Zendoji Koriyama Japan close.jpg

It's hard (for me) to say. I am tempted to say

Shinyo Shishū Seikōji

The first part is a given, as it is a normal construction for this branch of Buddhism. (It should be two characters and end in 誉/譽)

The last part is normally Kōji (it is a considered a "title" of the deceased). However, your family can pay extra money to the temple to augment your posthumous title, and 清 is a kanji that is commonly used to augment female post-death names. I haven't seen it used on a male name, but Google tells me it is possible. Also, I think the middle part, which is the actual "posthumous name" should be two characters.

So I am going with Shinyo Shishū Seikōji, and patiently await confirmation/correction.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Steve,

Shinyo Shishu (with Shishu being identified as his 'posthumous name/title'). That makes sense - I wasn't sure of the placing of spaces etc, so you have helped me a lot. Interesting that both Shin and Shi are kanji from his proper personal name (Shin-shi-ro) but it makes sense that they would take some of his existing 'spirit' to use in his posthumous name of honour.

Any idea on the 'meaning' of Shinyo Shishu?

Now, if any NMB member happens to be walking past this Zendoji Temple in Shimizudai suburb in Koriyama City in Fukushima  - maybe they could ask the monk where his (I presume a) stone is and take a pic?

I know, I'm just dreaming.

Thank you Steve.

(glad to hear from anyone with extra/new info too).

• Like 1

Yo (譽) is included in the first part of the posthumous names of people following the Jōdō sect of Buddhism, which is the sect/branch that is represented by this Zendōji temple. Actually these first two kanji are kind of "priestly name" that the dead person is given for the afterlife, which goes in front of the actual "posthumous name".  Your hypothesis is correct: the priest will take some kanji from the person's name, and they will combine it with 譽 to form this "priestly name" of the dead person, hence 信譽 (Shinyo).

The next part is the actual "posthumous name". Here too some kanji from the person's name, or some kanji that represents the person's personality or the person's interests or profession is used. So the 四 would have been taken again from his real name, and we'd have to ask the priest why he chose 修 for the second kanji.

The third part, which is the dead person's "title" is almost uniform across all Buddhist sects: 居士 (Kōji) is used for men, and 大姉 (Daishi) is used for women.  清大姉 is also used for women. I'm not completely sure that 清居士 is used for men, but I have seen something on the net that says it is OK. 

So yes, the priest will take characters from the deceased person's real name, and his/her real occupation or interests, and will combine it with various bits representing his/her particular sect of Buddhism, to come up with the final complete posthumous name. Very arcane and many younger Japanese feel quite cynical about this whole "posthumous name" thing, because the priests charge money based on the number of characters in the name - and the priests give subtle pressure to the bereaved families to give the deceased as long and as illustrious name as possible. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..