New Blade 1 - Hojoji Masahiro

Mark S.

Hi all,

Just picked up two new blades.  I’ll be bringing them to the Chicago Show for some ‘in hand’ advice, but figured I would start here for fun.  First blade is a wide thick heavy wakizashi with the following information:

Mei: Omi no Kami Hojoji Tachibana Masahiro is how I translate it.  From what I could find on line, the way a couple of the mei are cut, I believe the mei points to the first generation?  Any Masahiro experts want to weigh in on how comfortable they are with this mei?  Nothing on other side of nakago.

Nagasa: 52.23cm

Nakago: 15.1cm

Sori: 1cm

Motohaba: 3.2cm

Motokasane: 7mm

Sakihaba: 2.3cm

Sakikasane: 5mm

Kissaki: 3.7cm

Yokote: 1.4cm

Weight: 541g

Hamon appears wide suguha on first appearance, but abundant ashi give the effect of gunome within the suguha.  Attached are a few quick pictures in the sun.  There may be some reflections of trees, etc on the blade, but polish is fair.  

Thanks for any advice or comments.

73D41547-E418-49ED-982F-554F4E307B2A.jpeg

81B9A037-1D4F-4F4C-907F-04CFEF7CBC83.jpeg

8F027C7C-4264-4CCB-9AF3-2370C081CB3C.jpeg

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, David Flynn said:

I have a Shodai  Hojoji Masahiro Katana.   He was a contemporary  of Kotetsu.   In kantei,  he has been mistaken for Kotetsu.

Thanks for commenting.  Would you have a pic of the mei for comparison? 

So as I have been researching this blade on line, I came across what I think is a pretty interesting (yet sad) history of this blade.  Of course it is sad that it had to come into my hands due to the passing of a respected member of the collecting community.  I hope I can live up to having the opportunity to own it.

I found it was auctioned at Bonhams on September 24, 2020.  The information about the blade in the catalog matches and the explanation of the koshirae that came with the blade also matches.  The blade was one of several that came out of a collection of a Mr Kunio Izuka who (according to the write up that was included in the catalog) helped form the Kenzan Nihonto Club that later became the NY Token Kai.  Just thought this was interesting info.:)

3C355D4F-2FCA-4B62-88EF-D4C124313635.png

86584344-6849-4CC6-B06C-4B2B698685D0.png

• Like 3

Looks like a nice find Mark. I am not well versed on Masahiro but I would think the signature would be plausible. As I saw the announcement that NTHK is holding a shinsa at San Fran, I think this one might be up for that?

I think I can post some mei references tomorrow, I think I should have at least somewhere around 15-20. I can check them tomorrow and post few that seem the closest to my eye.

2 hours ago, Jussi Ekholm said:

As I saw the announcement that NTHK is holding a shinsa at San Fran, I think this one might be up for that?

I think I can post some mei references tomorrow, I think I should have at least somewhere around 15-20. I can check them tomorrow and post few that seem the closest to my eye.

I live local to the Chicago Show, so I’m hoping the Shinsa that was postponed for this year will happen as planned in 2023.  I have several items and can save the shipping and handling fees. 

If it is not too much trouble, you have no idea how much I would appreciate the mei references.  Of course if for some reason you can’t, I completely understand.  Thank you!

• Like 1

Hello Mark S.,

Normally don't do this but you sent a PM as Mr Kunio Izuka was my Japanese sword teacher as being a member of the New York Token Kai. I looked up examples of the 1st generation Omi no Kami Hojoji Tachibana Masahiro work and found a few examples that match very well with your sword's signature. I am looking at them on page 185 of SHINTO-MEIKAN by Markus Sesko. This sword I think would be worth sending it to shinsa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a Hojoji Tachibana Sadakuni wakizashi.  It is a beautiful stout blade (9mm thick), and his work was likened to that of Kotetsu.  Yours has a different hamon, but the mei is very similar in style.  It looks like an interesting sword.  I can bring mine to the show if you would like to compare them. 

1 hour ago, Surfson said:

I can bring mine to the show if you would like to compare them. 

I would very much like to make this happen if only to meet another collector in the area.  Thank you so much for the offer.  We can touch base a little closer to the show to work the logistics.

2 hours ago, Surfson said:

I have a Hojoji Tachibana Sadakuni wakizashi.  It is a beautiful stout blade (9mm thick), and his work was likened to that of Kotetsu.  Yours has a different hamon, but the mei is very similar in style.  It looks like an interesting sword.  I can bring mine to the show if you would like to compare them. 

Should I bring mine too? 

.. or one of the Aizu's ..

Hahaha

👍🙏

J.

17 hours ago, Soshin said:

I looked up examples of the 1st generation Omi no Kami Hojoji Tachibana Masahiro work and found a few examples that match very well with your sword's signature. I am looking at them on page 185 of SHINTO-MEIKAN by Markus Sesko. This sword I think would be worth sending it to shinsa.

Thank you so much for the help.  I really appreciate you taking the time.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..