Gendaito by Mino Kanetaka

Ron STL

A friend brought this sword over during our get together last Friday. A woman gave it to him! The mei reads Noshu Seki Kanetaka (unusual three-stroke kanji, Taka). I'm wondering if any example of his work is pictured anywhere. Sesko lists him saying he died in 1963. It looks like he continued as a smith after the war. It is a very handsome sugata and has a well-made and enjoyable to study hamon. If anyone knows of a pictorial source showing his nakago, wonderful. My gendaito references are very limited.  It has been left with me a while, so if a better description is needed, I'll provide that later. 

Ron STL

ELLIOT Kanetaka.jpg

Ron, yes this is Koketsu Genzaburo Kanetaka (sometimes read as Kanekami) and listed in Sesko swordsmiths.  He was born Meiji 32 (1899) and died Showa 38 (1963).  He was one of the students of Watanabe Kanenaga school, from Seki, and registered as a Seki swordsmith Showa 15 (1940) July 25.  I cant find any examples, but he is in a group photo in Seki around 1952 at opening of Fujiwara Kanefusa forge (see NMB Download article on Kojima family, page 4).

He had a student Ogawa Toichi Tofuji (also in Sesko) born Meiji 37 (1904) and registered in Seki Showa 15 (1940) Sept 28.

But is an example on NMB February 4, by Frank at Bigsgtg.

I missed this one:  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ron STL said:

The mei reads Noshu Seki Kanetaka (unusual three-stroke kanji, Taka). I'm wondering if any example of his work is pictured anywhere.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Noshu+Seki+Kanekami+Kanetaka&sxsrf=APq-WBulG3XlrmCe9vkWfn-o2yAgkwoMKQ%3A1648438245628&ei=5StBYuz7JYaa_QaC55agDA&ved=0ahUKEwisgsKA7-f2AhUGTd8KHYKzBcQQ4dUDCA4&uact=5&oq=Noshu+Seki+Kanekami+Kanetaka&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BwgjELADECdKBAhBGAFKBAhGGABQ9xJYix9gnCVoAXAAeACAAXWIAb4BkgEDMS4xmAEAoAECoAEByAEBwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz

Hi Ron,

Not much. Having seen a Watanabe Kanenaga, it would be welcomed to see images of this sword if possible? Is the hamon  Sanbonsugi?

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

All very interesting information, especially the link to the earlier NMB discussion. Myself, I find it interesting to locate a picture of a smith, just for my records. Still need to check out the article mentioned on Kojima Family. Thanks guys, you always are so helpful. 

Ron STL 

I can't find any examples, but he is in a group photo in Seki around 1952 at opening of Fujiwara Kanefusa forge (see NMB Download article on Kojima family, page 4).

Mai, I've been unsuccessful finding this NMB article you mentioned above. I must be missing something as to locating this on NMB. Any help in how to find this article? 

Ron STL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..