Ford Hallam’s books on tsuba

Jean

About 2 years ago I asked Marcus Chambers. He said Ford was working on it. However, I offered to edit the original 8 volumes for clarity (I’ve been a scientific editor for many years) and received only a preliminary introduction consisting of a little autobiography. Then I was informed that he had a publisher in Britain but something was wrong with the proofs. I've never even heard of a table of contents for 1 volume, much less the original promised 8 volumes. There have been requests for a digital form as well. I don’t really get it, if he’d just summarized and updated the Following the Iron Brush information he could have satisfied many of his subscribers. I guess he’s found his Patreon site (which is spotty but quite good) to provide sufficient income to stiff his subscribers. I keep hoping I’m wrong.

Like others, I hesitate to comment on this, because of the sensitive nature. I truly believe that Ford is adamant about finishing that book. However, reality is forcing him to review his priorities. For me, I'd rather have Ford and no book than a book and no Ford. This is just my 5p, I respect everyone's point of view in this.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I remember I was in for just the signed book, and for me it was just written off as a support for the artist few years after the supposed delivery date. However I know there are some people that made very generous contributions towards the project.

I know Ford is an amazing craftsman and researcher but unfortunately his business skills are quite lacking. :(

• Like 5

I feel that Ford will get the job done. He had had several setbacks. I urge patience. I appreciate the contributions that Ford continues to make to this forum and the teaching that he does. A member of our sword club ended up winning an award for the tsuba that he made. Without Ford's teaching, that would would not have happened. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Downvote 3

Ditto. I am willing (but not happy) to write it off to support what i think is a valuable resource.
Problem is (and I see it at work too) that people need funding to start projects. However, as time passes and the project is still in the distance, the need to use funds for everyday expenses becomes necessary. You always think "just need to use a bit of it, will replace it soon" and eventually when you need the funds for the project, they are gone, and you cannot ask for more. A catch22.
Don't know if this is the case, but assume so.
There are some very vocal detractors, and I understand their point. If I were Ford, I would try and sort them out somehow. Maybe even with an item as repayment. Then get back to doing a few less complicated pieces that are within reach of the average collector, that can gather some funds. Maybe a series of production items carved and signed and offered to people who have money invested? Anyways...just some rambling. As mentioned, I am accepting of the fact that he is trying his best, but I may just have to write it off to sponsorship of a worthy cause.

• Like 7

Can I say that I like your assessment Brien.

I am too old to be a sycophant but I am again impressed with the way you handle the difficult problems that come your way. I wouldn't like the job.

Mind you, I sometimes think you might censor some of Stephen's girlie shots too quickly.

Roger j

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

I taught graduate students for decades. One a thesis is written it is hard to exposure oneself to peer review. Parturition is always difficult, particularly if you don’t write a lot of stuff for publication.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 10:52 PM, Toryu2020 said:

I believe he had a heart attack so all work was stopped - not sure he's recovered enough to begin again. But you will get a response if you ask...

-t

About this issue, I was told the same thing Tom said above that all work on the books was stopped because of his heart attack a few years ago.   

He’s been on his Patreon site for a few years since his heart attack, and he was out and about enough to get Covid.  I’m pretty sure he can still type. We all know he reads the NMB and is aware of this discussion so he must be keeping a low profile for a reason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really appreciate the position of the financial supporters in this issue. But lets look at it as you were supporting a charity. I gave money to bushfires last year and floods this year- no return no expectation! But this is a sad position for all. 

Lets remember that Ford is the only person able to shed light on the manufacture and  repair of tosogu- the reason we're here! I am a patreon member and I  am really pleased and in awe  of this man. Had I been single and able I would have bolted to Japan in my 30's but 'such is life' not able to due to family- love em all! Like it or not you have supported a very slow yielding company! In 2009 I purchased 1mill shares in a gold mine for a high 5 figure sum, last year the company re financed/ adjusted the field of play, and now I have 10k shares worth around $1500. My gamble didnt pay off. But guess what- no humans involved- no health issues.  In my opinion if you gave the money- you could afford it!!!!And as for a board member sueing for $40 HELLO  - 10 cups of coffee- get real!!!!!.I have the greatest respect for Ford and I hope to learn more and more from him and I ask that you all give him the time needed to heal and restore- not only his body but his mental approach.  By the way Dale- Stephen Hawkins had Amotropic lateral sclerosis for 55 years so 15 books( in 55 years) and more handicaps than Ford!!!- To me thats poor form mate- if your dis interested be quiet.If I win a lottery I will go to Ford in a blink to learn as much as I could in the time he and I have left. Sorry guys you gambled on the share market and like me it did not work out. Im holding my shares waiting to see what happens- I ask you to hold yours with Ford.God bless mate-feel for you!

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Downvote 3

All - I couldn't have put it better myself.  Mike, that's a wonderful expression of support for Ford, which I heartily endorse.  I have never understood the naysayers, never.  I feel antipathy toward such folk as they clearly don't understand or comprehend the difficulty of 'The Way' Ford has chosen to understand the Masters of the Japanese sword Arts.  Its a hard gig.  I agree with and support everything Mike has said above, so won't add more beyond saying those with the investor frame of mind should move on.

With kudos to Ford,

Barry Thomas.

PS: The Patreon members here might like to know that Ford's most recent video on nanako features my kozuka and tsuba.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, there are distinct differences in the reasons whys people subscribed for the promised books. From reading the messages here on the NMB, most are collectors or admirers of tosogu. So your interest is understanding, not in application of techniques. For those of us who actually make this stuff, it’s a different story. I’ve been at it daily for about 10 years now, and, apart from 3 classes (2 with Ford), it’s been trial and error. Had Ford done what we promised, he might have saved me about 5 years. The other fact that only practitioners know, is that Ford only reveals the basics, and there is a lot more to know. However, without even a table of contents, I have no idea what the end product might ever be. For the amount I gambled, I could have bought some pretty nice tools or tosogu. Ford is not the only master that communicates in English, but is a master. 

• Love 1

Hi Darrel, well what a priveledge to work with Ford. Ive worked in metal for nearly 50 years- made my first billet of mokume gane in 1975 way before the internet and I was very disapointed - solder method. Wasnt until Steve Midgett's book came out ( bit over 20 years ago) I was able to make a kiln and fuse the billet. After that I used it in many pieces I sold thru my gallery / jewellery shop. Nearly retired now so looking forward to more mokume and inlays and learning more about my nihonto and tosogu- only been seriously collecting for around 30 years but still consider I know nothing,so much to learn and little time and  resources. Yeah for the internet - to use one of Fords lines "stealing with your eyes" !Thats why I am on Fords Patreon. If I get out of Australia I maybe able to visit Ford! I too cant wait for his books.

Cheers

• Like 2

I suppose I ought to add my own comments here also.

Firstly I'd like to say that I genuinely appreciate the kindness, understanding and support so many have shown me. For those people who are, justifiably, not so inclined all I can say is that I regret that I have thus far been unable to get the book I had planned to the printers and delivered.

Posting any sort of comment on Kickstarter has for some years now immediately drawn a flurry of vile and abusive personal messages, some even directed at my partner who has nothing to do with my book work at all. It has in fact gotten so bad that the actions of a number of named individuals have now referred to the police here in the UK with a view to issuing restraining orders. I've remained civil and calm in dealing with upset and angry people but ultimately there comes a point when nothing I can say will be enough and the stress and upset it was causing me personally was only making everything harder and much much worse.

As I'm sure you all know I have devoted my life to my craft and to sharing my experience and knowledge through personal teaching, frequently for free in my own studio, the forum I established and the youtube channel which hosts over 100 hours of instructional film all available for free to everyone. This is what I do and who I am.

I decided that I really needed to create the books that led to the Kickstarter project as a way to getting it all in a more usable and compact record.  And to be clear, the Kickstarter project was for a single book, with a further 7 planned after that but as an entirely separate thing. The first book is on Metals, alloys and patination, a history and practical manual. The contents page of that book as well as two or three draft chapters were shared on kickstarter ages ago.  I got caught up with going too far in my research and the project ultimately became a significant challenge. This started to happen as my health took a turn for the worse.

For those of you who don't know I've essentially been disabled since 2001. The exact condition I live with is:

Antisynthetase syndrome is a chronic autoimmune condition that affects the muscles and various other parts of the body. The signs and symptoms can vary but may include muscle inflammation (myositis), polyarthritis (inflammation of many joints), interstitial lung diseasethickening and cracking of the hands, and Raynaud phenomenon. The exact underlying cause is unknown; however, the production of autoantibodies (antibodies that attack normal cells) that attack certain enzymes in the body called 'aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases' appears to be linked to the cause of the syndrome. These autoantibodies may arise after viral infections, or patients may have a genetic predisposition. 

There's more detailed info here if you're inclined to read more.

A couple of heart attacks followed by a bout of covid led to a pretty serious decline in all aspects of my health, mental and physical, culminating last autumn in my having extensive medical investigations to alleviate my situation. Up until a couple of weeks ago I was down to less than 29% oxygen transfer through my lungs and walking 25 meters meant suffering pretty bad chest pains and awfully weak arms and legs, which then took 5 or ten minutes to recover from. As a result of the medical investigations I started a new treatment 10 days ago and while I'm only half way through working up to the dosages planned I was yesterday able to walk from my car to the studio without stopping and with very little chest pain. Only a distance of about 80 meters but already a significant improvement. I feel I still have a way to go yet but believe I will regain enough vitality and stamina to get back to the levels of work and intensity I once took for granted. 

The last 6 months have been particularly tough and I wasn't confidant things were going to improve at all. I'm still coming to terms with the reassessment of my condition and the hopeful prognosis now offered. 

I'm proud of the work I've done on the book and I will get it published, a Europe/Japan Educational Foundation has assured me of that support. But right now I'm having to concentrate of regaining some degree of wellbeing and doing what I can to support my family. This is why I am presently unable to continue work on tosogu, it's simply just too demanding, but instead have returned to my original trade as goldsmith. The jobs are easier and quicker so I can cope with that level of studio activity right now.

I've decided to post this today, not by way of an excuse or to try and appease angry men, but to share the reality of what I'm dealing with with those of you who have continued to care, support and have faith in me. I don't like discussing such painful and personal matters like this in public but I feel I owe you this.

I don't think there's much point in me returning to this thread or saying anything further. 

Thanks for reading and I'll be back in the game when I'm more able.

All the best

Ford

• Like 4
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Ford Hallam said:

I suppose I ought to add my own comments here also.

Firstly I'd like to say that I genuinely appreciate the kindness, understanding and support so many have shown me. For those people who are, justifiably, not so inclined all I can say is that I regret that I have thus far been unable to get the book I had planned to the printers and delivered.

Posting any sort of comment on Kickstarter has for some years now immediately drawn a flurry of vile and abusive personal messages, some even directed at my partner who has nothing to do with my book work at all. It has in fact gotten so bad that the actions of a number of named individuals have now referred to the police here in the UK with a view to issuing restraining orders. I've remained civil and calm in dealing with upset and angry people but ultimately there comes a point when nothing I can say will be enough and the stress and upset it was causing me personally was only making everything harder and much much worse.

As I'm sure you all know I have devoted my life to my craft and to sharing my experience and knowledge through personal teaching, frequently for free in my own studio, the forum I established and the youtube channel which hosts over 100 hours of instructional film all available for free to everyone. This is what I do and who I am.

I decided that I really needed to create the books that led to the Kickstarter project as a way to getting it all in a more usable and compact record.  And to be clear, the Kickstarter project was for a single book, with a further 7 planned after that but as an entirely separate thing. The first book is on Metals, alloys and patination, a history and practical manual. The contents page of that book as well as two or three draft chapters were shared on kickstarter ages ago.  I got caught up with going too far in my research and the project ultimately became a significant challenge. This started to happen as my health took a turn for the worse.

For those of you who don't know I've essentially been disabled since 2001. The exact condition I live with is:

There's more detailed info here if you're inclined to read more.

A couple of heart attacks followed by a bout of covid led to a pretty serious decline in all aspects of my health, mental and physical, culminating last autumn in my having extensive medical investigations to alleviate my situation. Up until a couple of weeks ago I was down to less than 29% oxygen transfer through my lungs and walking 25 meters meant suffering pretty bad chest pains and awfully weak arms and legs, which then took 5 or ten minutes to recover from. As a result of the medical investigations I started a new treatment 10 days ago and while I'm only half way through working up to the dosages planned I was yesterday able to walk from my car to the studio without stopping and with very little chest pain. Only a distance of about 80 meters but already a significant improvement. I feel I still have a way to go yet but believe I will regain enough vitality and stamina to get back to the levels of work and intensity I once took for granted. 

The last 6 months have been particularly tough and I wasn't confidant things were going to improve at all. I'm still coming to terms with the reassessment of my condition and the hopeful prognosis now offered. 

I'm proud of the work I've done on the book and I will get it published, a Europe/Japan Educational Foundation has assured me of that support. But right now I'm having to concentrate of regaining some degree of wellbeing and doing what I can to support my family. This is why I am presently unable to continue work on tosogu, it's simply just too demanding, but instead have returned to my original trade as goldsmith. The jobs are easier and quicker so I can cope with that level of studio activity right now.

I've decided to post this today, not by way of an excuse or to try and appease angry men, but to share the reality of what I'm dealing with with those of you who have continued to care, support and have faith in me. I don't like discussing such painful and personal matters like this in public but I feel I owe you this.

I don't think there's much point in me returning to this thread or saying anything further. 

Thanks for reading and I'll be back in the game when I'm more able.

All the best

Ford

Ford,

Would it be of any assistance to have someone organise and compile your old posts, relevant to this volume? I'm sure they represent thousands of hours of work and there's more than enough content.

I have a lot of time on my hands right now, and my secretary has had almost nothing to do for the last year, so it really wouldn't be any trouble.

I did back the project, but I don't really care about the book. I personally would prefer that you abandoned the project, called it a failure and focussed on yourself.

As you are dedicated to completing the book, I'm offering this in case it might be of assistance to you. If you would like to take me up on this, or if you can think of anything else I could do to assist, please let me know.

I read about 800 pages most days, so I would probably be able to go through everything you've written on this site by this time tomorrow.

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

Dear Ford

Please focus on getting well and regain your strength. The book can wait. I was not a backer on kikstarter, I did not seen it in time other wise I would have been.

Do not consider the comments of those that do not understand that backing a project on kikstarter is by itself a bet. Sometimes it pays sometimes not...

Get well

My greatest respects

Luca

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2022 at 2:14 PM, Ford Hallam said:

Late response on this one - I've only just seen this.  

Funnily enough, there's been no evidence to support your claims of "vile and abusive" messages.  Well, other than those your "business partner" hurls at people.  There's also no evidence of any police referrals - and as you would be aware had you actually spoken to them, the police don't issue restraining orders.  You haven't "dealt with" any of the people you've angered with your constant lies, you've ghosted them and ignored them.

Ford, you were paid a large sum to write a book.  I'm aware you're trying to rewrite history and claim it was to fund research, but that's another lie and you know it.  It wasn't a speculative project, it wasn't even a project with high fixed costs - you simply spent the money and then have done nothing to rectify the situation, merely making excuses.  You lied about the publisher and getting proofs back, you've lied about every other aspect of the project.  Well, except frittering away the money (and Kickstarter is very clear - your obligations are deliver the project, or refund the backers).

While the UK police have not yet taken action on the fraud report lodged with them, this in no way suggests they've decided it isn't fraud.  Thankfully, more and more professionals in the UK have seen your conduct in this matter and are dropping involvement with you owing to it.  Deliver the book and they might reassess.

This is not about how much you've given to the community, or any other justification for why you should be excused your obligations.  It's about you taking money to do a task and then neither delivering on it, nor refunding those who have requested refunds - you've ghosted them too.   You haven't provided an update to the backers in 2 years.

Ford, your work is superlative.  Your morals clearly are not.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Downvote 2