Please help identify a tsuba maker

Marc T

Dear community,

I am asking for your help to identify a tsuba maker.

name read as follow : 乙柳軒味墨 浜野

Could you help me to get information about this maker. How to read his name?Which period? Is there any record of him mentioning birthplace, place of work, which clan,etc?

All piece of information would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and your answers.

kind regards

The given kanji should be read as Otsuryūken (乙柳軒) Miboku (味墨) Hamano ( 浜野)

Both Otsuryūken (乙柳軒) and Miboku (味墨) are gō, or arts names.
Hamano ( 浜野) is a surname, and the name of a school in the Nara tradition.

The gō Otsuryūken (乙柳軒) and Miboku (味墨) were both used by Nobuyuki, the third generation of the Hamano school, and Masanobu, the founder of the Ōoka line of the Hamano.

6DA76430-7504-47D2-8B75-78A8DE30635E.jpeg

B6E4FBFF-6E7C-4ED7-9540-20F4A81A1D09.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Dear All,

First of all, deepest apologies for my late answer ( computer problems....)

This is very interesting. Thank you so much for your time on this search.

Last week I saw this tsuba on the net. 

在銘鉄鍔 明珍宗周/乙柳軒味墨(浜野)うぶ品 *兜鎧甲冑武士戦陣弓刀鞍鐙鍔目貫縁頭大名侍_画像1

Myochin Munechika is a famous armor maker who was commissioned by the Tokugawa government to produce armors for the tokugawa's , high ranking official and top class Daimyos and samurai. He was very active during the late edo period ( ansei period).

When comparing the signs of the tsuba and the ones on the armors, they are very similar. I believe both armors and tsuba were made by the same Myochin Munechika.

Mei.png.bdde4aa37f0fbbcfa7421a9bede83568.png

One question I could'nt find the answer yet is why did Munechika signed his armor using the kanji "記”and why the tsuba were all signed without the"記” . I have few Tsuba of munechika, and they are all the same. No use of "記”.

To come back on the tsuba subject, I believe Munechika made the tsuba, but the execution of the family crest is extremely thin and delicate, and shows very high skill. All the other Tsuba made by Munechika I have seen are not as delicate in the design as this one.

I believe ( just my wild thoughts) this tsuba was a collaboration between 2 artists. Munechika for the tsuba, and Otsuryūken Miboku Hamano for the design of the Kamon. Is there a very late edo period Otsuryūken Miboku Hamano artist who signed that way?

What are your thoughts on this?

Many thanks for your answers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..