Kamakura Taima Tachi

Tengu1957

2162.thumb.jpeg.1aaf73422c482d3e4a6102e4f00f2f1a.jpeg

O Suriage Tachi late Kamakura Circa 1290-1300. 68 cm
NBTHK Tokubetsu Hozon attribution to Yamato Taima
Specifically to Cho Aritoshi
Cho is short for Chobeinojo Aritoshi
This school takes its name from the Taimadera temple in Nara. They made swords for the warrior monks who protected the holdings and land belonging to the temple.
They rarely signed these swords and the works of this school are rare .
Sayagaki by Mr Tonobe 
The Hada of this sword is really beautiful.

2165.jpeg

2164 (1).jpeg

• Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gakusee said:

Thank you, Gary, for posting a beautiful and old blade. It is rare nowadays for someone to post Kamakura period blades on the board. Most action seems to be elsewhere. 

30" nagasa

Possible Norinaga...

Not showing off or hijacking the thread. My camera isn't cooperating lately.

J.

20220326_215559.jpg

• Like 2

Hi, 

Nice Taima sword. Although it is stated that Taima is a somewhat rare school, I owned four blades in during twenty years of collecting and two of them attributed to Cho Aritoshi. Currently I still have in my collection a juyo token attributed to den Cho Aritoshi (62nd juyo session) with a sayagaki by Tanobe sensei which translates approximately to: Sayagaki Tanobe Sensei

62th juyo token
The Wasyu Cho Aritoshi. This sword is Osuriage Mumei. This sword smith was Taima school’s student, he was a sword smith in the Kenmu era. Hamon is Suguha and Syogunome with deep and thick Nie. Also, Hamon has many Niju- ha and Yubashiri. This sword has a lot of characteristics of Aritoshi and is excellent.
Nagasa 2 shaku 2 sun 2 bu Year of the Rooster 2017

best regards,

John

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

John, did you pursue Taima as a collecting area of interest? So, out of around 1000 Juyo Yamato blades, I reckon the largest specified number, over a quarter, are Taima. This signifies their quality and in fact they are at the top of the Yamato pedestal in terms of sophistication and quality. 

• Like 1

FB_IMG_1648392047904.thumb.jpg.0b741ed82e4eae8b7049c837e1ef8270.jpg

1 hour ago, Gakusee said:

John, did you pursue Taima as a collecting area of interest? So, out of around 1000 Juyo Yamato blades, I reckon the largest specified number, over a quarter, are Taima. This signifies their quality and in fact they are at the top of the Yamato pedestal in terms of sophistication and quality. 

Another Kamakura Taima Tachi I have 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

It would be nice to see and read that. Can you post that please?

Same here. If it isn't too much trouble, would it be possible to get shots of the sayagaki for both pieces? 

I'm very impressed with the collection. Two Taima swords... amazing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi all, here are some pictures of the sayagaki of my Taima. Translation in earlier post. I was not really looking for specifically Taima, but did at that time have a vested interest in Yamato. Still own a TH  Kamakura tachi, a juyo Senjuin Yoshimitsu Kamakura tanto and this Taima Cho Aritoshi.

best regards

John

68354B45-2467-4F26-80F5-67DDF185CADC.png

A60787BD-4A2B-4F0A-93D4-81287D5789A5.png

B3040F4D-9A29-42A2-A8D8-846036E9AECC.png

A0BBF548-FF24-4A64-926E-A6B4ACBBEABD.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Back to the Optometrist. 

I feel your pain Pat! 

I went to work without my specs one day last week and had to try reading everything from about 6 feet distance all day. :freak:

Jon

1 hour ago, Baba Yaga said:

The 1st photo threw me. Looked like it was almost straight with no sori. 

I thought may be exception 10,001. Back to the Optometrist. 

On a very personal note I have to wonder if these are Kamakura per se.

They both look like earlish Nambokucho.

Yes, you are both right, the masculine sugata, lower curvature and okissaki or rather extended chu kissaki are of course more Nanbokucho. But it is one of these where the blade is +/- five to ten years of the watershed (1333, which demarcates the end of Kamakura). It is not as though these blades are from towards the late/ end of the 14 century 

• Like 1

Hi,

Setsumei translstion best effort. 

Description
It is said that Aritoshi was a swordmaker belonged to Yamato Taima school and he has two names: one is Aritoshi (有俊) consisting of two Chinese characters and another is Cho Aritoshi (長有俊) consisting of three Chinese characters. The former one can be seen produced in Einin 6 (1298). It is a common theory that mei of Cho Aritoshi (three Chinese characters) shows the second Aritoshi, the era is approx. Kenmu, shortened name of Chobei (no) jo Aritoshi.
This sword is that jigane is koitame with slightly nagare masa, thick jinie sticked to pieces, hamon is suguha, kochoji, kogunome, kui chigai ba & niju ba & yubashiri on habuchi, thick nie is brightly saeru, etc, significantly see Cho Aritoshi’s feature on jiba (jihada and hamon) and kiwameno syuko sareru (it is proved as the past authentication.). As Cho Aritoshi’s feature, habuchi is a highlight of niju ba. This sword has strong hanie with Cho Aritoshi’s kiwame, niju ba with thick and condensed nie can be frequently seen on habuchi, hamon is clearly skillful. It is an excellent piece of work.

best regards,

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..