2022 NTHK West Coast Shinsa - Yes its happening!

from the NCJSC

To All Show Attendees:

As I am sure you are aware, Japan has recently relaxed its immigration restrictions and is allowing easier entrance into and out of the country.  

As a result of this we were contacted by the NTHK organization about doing a shinsa at this year’s August show after all.  We realize that this is somewhat late notice, but we wanted to let you all know that the NCJSC has agreed to host a shinsa at this year’s show.

If you would like to submit any swords, koshirae, or kodogu, we encourage you to make your reservations as soon as possible.

Details will be posted later this week on https://nthkamerica.com - please feel free to share this with your collector friends.

Please direct any questions to; nthkamerica@toryu-mon.com

-tch
Thomas C Helm
Pres. Northern California Japanese Sword Club
www.ncjsc.org

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2022 at 12:44 PM, Toryu2020 said:

As a result of this we were contacted by the NTHK organization about doing a shinsa at this year’s August show after all.  We realize that this is somewhat late notice, but we wanted to let you all know that the NCJSC has agreed to host a shinsa at this year’s show.

Is the shinsa process in the US exactly the same as in Japan? Is the same paper NTHK issued as in Japan?

7 hours ago, WulinRuilong said:

Is the shinsa process in the US exactly the same as in Japan? Is the same paper NTHK issued as in Japan?

Appears the Shinsa team that will be in America is the NTHK, not to be confused with the NBTHK Japanese team. Two different teams, Two different papers. 

Yanchen -

The shinsa process is exactly the same as in Japan - the personnel are exactly the same as in Japan, they will just be in Burlingame this time around. No one should get us confused with the NBTHK - we are much more a collector focused organization, in every instance we attempt to provide attributions to particular smiths, including generation and time period, we do this even if an item is rejected for some reason and ours are the only paper that includes the attestation "Shoshin" stating that the article is genuine, this is legally binging in Japan which means that we can be sued if we are not absolutely correct, this is why our standards and our fail rate are so high, making our papers the more valuable choice for the researcher and collector.

-tch

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I submitted the shinsa registration fee via paypal yesterday for the SF August sword show (also sent an email with a few questions).  Does anyone know how long it takes to secure a time slot (before I book flights, this is my first shinsa for a sword).

Thanks,

Brandon

Brandon - 

In order to schedule timeslots we need a certain "critical mass" to be reached to insure a workflow that aids the shinsa team in their task and satisfies the day/time requests from customers. Once we get closer to the event you will receive an email Reservation Confirmation that will include the day and time for submission. As I said elsewhere Saturday Am is not a problem at this point.

-tch

• 5 weeks later...

With my upcoming work schedule, I don't think I can make this show. <-- That being said, I have 2 items I would like to submit to shinsa. Are there any "agents" I can send the items to that will submit for me? A couple people offered their services on facebook, but I can't recall who. Might have been David Easley.

Dan -

If you visit the registration page on the NTHK America website you will see contact info for our mail-in service. And indeed David Easley is offering to handle swords for folks, he's out here on the West Coast and on the East Coast is Moises Becerra of Nihonto Antiques also offering to serve as an agent.

Sorry that you can't join us, we do thank you for your support of the NTHK

-tch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NCJSC 2022To-Ken Taikai
This is it folks just one month away. I know many of you may be holding off on plans waiting till that last minute to commit to the trip. We would like to encourage you to make your hotel reservations now before the hotel closes the show block and you possibly lose your shot at the discounted “Sword Show Rate”. See reservation information here; http://ncjsc.org/SF_token_kai.htm
(remember there is no fee if you have to cancel)
We would also like to remind you that last year in spite of storms back East and an on-going pandemic we had one of the most successful shows in a long time. There is still a great deal of pent-up demand and there is sure to be some heavy trading in the showroom. Currently there are no vaccination or masking requirements at the hotel. San Mateo County where the show is being held currently recommends masking, and physical distancing but there are no mandatory restrictions. We should also like to point out that with travel restrictions to and from Japan now being relaxed we are expecting dealers from Japan along with a Shinsa Team from the NTHK. If you have not heard about the shinsa or need to register items for examination please visit the NTHK webpages here; https://nthkamerica.com
On behalf of all the members of the NCJSC, we are looking very much forward to seeing you all here in August.
-tch
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Tom:

I just reserved two sword slots for the Shinsa. I need to reserve Friday or Saturday morning. However, my email on the confirmation to contact me is incorrectly listed. Contact me through PM or email, and I will give you the correct email. Thanks.

Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi)

Anyone still considering on going, the room block is set to close TOMORROW!

There are still discounted rooms available for Thurs, Fri, and Sat but you need to get your reservations in now. If you are being told the block is full - let me know as we may be able to help...

-tch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..