Tsuba identification help

DAY

This one caught my eye on e**y back in February...  It is 83 x 85 mm; 5mm thick at both rim and seppa dai ; rounded rim and chisel cut, tekkotsu not visible. The loop that has lost its patina sits above the main plate 1 mm.  Any ideas on time period or school for this piece ?  Now that I have "accumulated" a few pieces it is time to figure out what I have. Possibly Later Edo Ko-shaomi ?  If you have seen the original listing the white crud in the corners was old dried wax..

Thank in advance  for any information you may be able to provide.

David

sorry second image is upside down..

Noren a.jpg

Noren b.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Grev, I'm trying to get the upside down photo corrected with better lighting so the color is a bit closer to the actual tone.  I can't  begin to fathom the time and dedication hunched over a work bench to produce a detailed piece like this. Kudos to those who continue this line of work.  Every time it goes under the scope I see more detail that I missed before .

Thanks again for the info I'll look into this

David

WIN_20220324_11_14_59_Pro.jpg

Thanks Jean, sometimes my brain slips out of gear. Tsuba looks "newer" than the ko-shoami time frame.

The paper that came with it "A-1987 Iron, openwork of a noren, blowing in the wind. Circa 1700 $8.00 Duplicate in ROM" "A-1987" is the tag that is attached to the tsuba.  As the tsuba was sold out of Wisconsin I am guessing ROM is the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto. Seller claims it came for a collector who was traveling into Japan in the 60's hence the $8.00.

Thanks to both of you this is a good step on my educational journey.

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..