ANTIQUE Japanese SWORD WAKIZASHI KANESUKE 兼祐 signed WW2 NAVAL GUNTO KOSHIRAE NR

Dear Steve.

Well it's a nice package, good condition Kai gunto with the better lacquered same saya.  The seller calls it a wakizashi so we will have to take his word on that.  Not sure how much you know about Japanese swords so please forgive me if I state the obvious.  Straight hamon,known as suguha, is relatively common.  In Mino swords it is often accompanied by fushi or thickets, little protrusions above the habuchi, almost as if the smith can't quite get sambonsugi out of his system even when doing suguha.  

However, the pictures don't show enough to base any opinion on.  The seller describes it as awesome, that might be because he's a fan of suguha.  It might also be that the hamon is masked by a heavy hadori, which would account for the width.

I would guess that some of the work on the nakago was done when the sword was mounted in this koshirae.  So what you have is an unpapered wakizashi with a hamon that you can't see, coming out of Japan in very nice Kaigunto mounts.

Hope that helps a little.

All the best.

Buying a sword for me is like walking through a land mine especially one online  with only pictures I hav owned some swords and sold some but as a small private collector After weighing in on comments I would pass on this one

Also buying from Japan is not a stones throw away if there’s issues 

Thanks for you all help 

Steve 

3 hours ago, Swords said:

Buying a sword for me is like walking through a land mine especially one online  with only pictures I have owned some swords and sold some but as a small private collector After weighing in on comments I would pass on this one

Also buying from Japan is not a stones throw away if there’s issues 

Thanks for you all help 

Steve 

I don't usually chime in on something so "controversial", but my doctor just upped my meds.

The answer to your question is very complicated and has to do with MANY variables. These are only the beginning!

Do you want to own Art that has relatively no flaw? If so. it's going to cost you greatly $$$$$$$.

If you think your going to buy something "cheap" from someone and restore, it's going to cost you Greatly.

This only works very-very few times and that's going be lose of time and a lot of money. 

Buy a costly problematic niche sword from a dealer and expect to sell it for -- 100% less than what you paid 1 yr from purchase. 

We just seen this.

My stupid advise.

Find a mentor, or two, or three who want to teach the perfection of Juyo blades and not most of the problematic low end crap most can afford. 

Oh, if those mentors want to sell you a low end blade, the aren't mentors. 

All my advise is subject to blood and urine test.

Good hunting! 

If someone else is interested 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/ANTIQUE-Japanese-SWORD-WAKIZASHI-KANESUKE-signed-WW2-NAVAL-GUNTO-KOSHIRAE-NR/255448769062

I like his youtube clips that show the blade much better.

I think some of his blades have issues that are hard to spot or being just gimei. Sometimes he sells blades that look good but i dont had them in hand.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..