Tsuba from shipwreck (A restoration project)

This is Frowni. I've been thinking about using my own name for some time now so I thought this might be the right time to start using this account. (I don't remember how I came up with that name in the first place)

As I promised yesterday, I'm sharing a picture(mind the quality please) and a video of the Tsuba. I'm still trying to find out where these were found/came from but I think I'm getting closer. Some of these tsuba are sadly beyond saving (This is what I think but I'm not Ford) I'm going to take pictures of these one by one, in a white box, with a better camera. Please do let me know If you recognise some of these tsuba. Some of them are signed, but just wait for the better pictures. 

Here is the video: https://streamable.com/k5tqux

1.jpg

• Wow 1

Okan,

that looks like a sad loss of otherwise nice TSUBA (plural of TSUBA is TSUBA. Japanese nouns don't have a plural form). Saltwater works like acid. Nevertheless, I think I am seeing an ECHIZEN KINAI TSUBA among them. Close-up photos might bring more insight if some TSUBA could possibly be saved.

13 minutes ago, ROKUJURO said:

Okan,

that looks like a sad loss of otherwise nice TSUBA (plural of TSUBA is TSUBA. Japanese nouns don't have a plural form). Saltwater works like acid. Nevertheless, I think I am seeing an ECHIZEN KINAI TSUBA among them. Close-up photos might bring more insight if some TSUBA could possibly be saved.

I've just fixed it :) Thank you for letting me know.

An interesting collection in terms of spread and even if they're ultimately beyond full restoration the corrosion will at least provide valuable information regarding the iron structure and processing. For that information alone I'd be prepared to work on them.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, kyushukairu said:

Here are a few which I noticed:
- Tanto sized ‘nanban’ tsuba (purple)
- Saotome tsuba (red)
- Two which may be Owari (green)
- An Echizen Kinai, which Jean already mentioned (red)
- A ‘nanban’ tsuba, which I personally believe to be Hirado (blue) 

33DEAFD9-8D46-49A4-BC9A-3E712C4C5CD2.jpeg

F5A8D682-D759-4A18-80B6-C112FE29EB53.jpeg

Thank you Kyle! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..