Mt. Fuji in pocket size

Grevedk

Dear NMB members,

I have acquired this Tsuba as it rather intrigued me. It’s not that pretty and feels more like a design that probably were not that uncommon. But - that is open for discussion🤓

• Mt. Fuji on four sides.
  • Tate Ito Gata (design)
  • Iron (magnetic with a clear bell sound)
  • 80 mm x 79,5 mm (diameter)
  • 120 grams (weight)
  • Both Kozuka Hitsu-Ana and Kogai Hitsu-Ana
  • Uchikaeshi-Mimi (iron reversed and rounded edges)
  • Probably brass inlaid “mon”?
  • Probably mid to late Edo period 
  • School - could be Bishu (Owari) or Shoami?

A similar Tsuba was discussed in a tread from 2013. That Tsuba had only one Hitsu- Ana, no mon” but a different inlaid design.

Disclaimer: apologies if someone should be offended by one of the “mon”.

I would appreciate any of your input, opinions or just comments on:

• The “mon” - not quite sure that they are mon? (What are they?)
  • School and possible the maker
  • Any reflection that comes to your mind

2DADFA02-E180-4E33-91E4-28746C3B1D13.thumb.jpeg.b8232e348efa64ff0909967cb33c2e11.jpeg7A430E01-4B32-49F5-8C7E-B1DEAC902D00.thumb.jpeg.fb8fa65a355690cc4d3c3d5c32592315.jpeg

5. Warning - No intention to hurt anyones feelings.

Counter-clockwise manji. Not tilted and in 90 degrees position. The family mon and the Buddhist symbol would be clockwise? Can anyone explain the meaning of this on a Tsuba?

7FA79A84-41A8-44E4-8D5F-A75D87550DCE.thumb.jpeg.2d94cfb3521f908abbf9f694181bb9c3.jpeg

• Like 1

Hello Greve (?),

on the first sight it seems to be an interesting Tsuba, well done with elegant curves in orikaeshi mimi. I like it.

I don’t think, the corners depict Mount Fuji (there should be three peaks). I would describe it as a variation of  itomaki-gata. The indentation could be called sumi-iri.

Concerning the manji- or sawastika-mon no apologies needed - we all know the meaning of it in Japan.

If the mon refer to specific families or if they are just decoration I can’t tell, but in my opinion these inlays have a kind of crudeness in workmanship. Perhaps later additions?

Best,
Florian

• Like 2

The word swastika comes from Sanskrit: स्वस्तिक, romanizedsvastika, meaning "conducive to well-being".[16][6] In Hinduism, the right-facing symbol (clockwise) () is called swastika, symbolizing surya ("sun"), prosperity and good luck, while the left-facing symbol (counter-clockwise)"

I have the symbol on a Nanban Tsuba.

• Like 1

Thank you all for some fine comments and points.

@ Florian - Itomaki-gata is a very reasonable suggestion, and the possibility of later “ad on’s” in regard to the “mon” is equally plausible. The tsuba by itself is well and solid crafted, but the “mon” are a bit “crude” in their design and quality.

@ Pat - thanks for your input. I will correct my “clockwise / counterclockwise” error.

@ Brian - I will make no further disclaimers in future post regarding this Manji / symbol 🤓👌

But -  Can anyone decipher these “mon” / inlays?

Best regards 

Soren

Unless you have the provenance of the tsuba, it is impossible to say who originally owned it. Mon are used throughout Japan, and the same design is used by many different families. Some daimyo even used more than one design.

Considering there are four different mon on this tsuba, it might be symbolic of the joining of several families/clans (either in some kind of regional alliance or marriage...or both).  That would be my guess - some commemoration of an alliance, or perhaps a sign of loyalty to an alliance.

The ones on your tsuba are

Top: 四つ割り菱 (yotsuwaribishi) means "four-sectioned diamond"  https://irohakamon.com/kamon/hishi/yotsuwaribishi.html  

2nd from top: 梅鉢 (umebachi) means "plum pot" https://irohakamon.com/kamon/ume/umebachi.html

3rd from top: 違い角 (chigaikaku) means "overlapping squares" https://irohakamon.com/kamon/kaku/chigaikaku.html 

Bottom: 右卍 (migi manji) means "right-facing manji" https://irohakamon.com/kamon/manji/migimanji.html

All of the kamon in your tsuba have slight variations from the images in the above links, but basically those are the kamon in the tsuba.

The edge of the tsuba is a very small, and I imagine its a very challenging area in which to do inlay work. That may explain why the inlay work looks a bit rough. There is probably also a question of skill...one of the grand master tsuba smiths of Kyōto would have been obsessive about straight lines and how to handle the overlapping sections, whereas the smith who made your tsuba looks like he was not at that level of expertise. But nonetheless an interesting, and I think a very collectible tsuba. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, SteveM said:

Unless you have the provenance of the tsuba, it is impossible to say who originally owned it. Mon are used throughout Japan, and the same design is used by many different families. Some daimyo even used more than one design.

Considering there are four different mon on this tsuba, it might be symbolic of the joining of several families/clans (either in some kind of regional alliance or marriage...or both).  That would be my guess - some commemoration of an alliance, or perhaps a sign of loyalty to an alliance.

That's a reasonable hypothesis. Thanks 

Soren,

Small is beautiful, I have a Katamenuki very similar [wish I had both] and what I take to be a tiepin? Also a tobacco pouch ornament only 2 cm high.

They make modern copies but they are just not right.

I have those Bonhams menuki as being sold the year before by Barnebys Auctions.

"Tale of the travelling Tosogu."

tiny tsuba collection.jpg

menuki auction.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..