WW2 sword maker identification search

Stewart

Thank you very much for the valuable information. The blade seems to be in very poor condition. It looks like someone has tried to sharpen and/polish it. It also has a decent chip toward the kissaki.

I’m hoping the blade can be polished back to a better condition correctly.3C05CACD-4586-47C3-BBD7-52BBC47B8F45.thumb.jpeg.8e4802dbb9d0881df05b3bddeb0c87d1.jpeg

Hi Duncan, yes that blade is in very bad condition. Blades can be repolished by trained professionals, if the damage isn't too extreme. However this costs both time, and money - about 3-4000AUD. So in this case it may be best to keep it lightly oiled and save it as a family heirloom.

Thanks for the quick reply John.

Yes. It’s very unfortunate about the blade. I’ve actually lightly oiled it before I posted as you have suggested. I’ll let my friend know of the findings as given here.

I’ll suggest the polishing but I feel he will opt out and keep it as is ( as you suggested ). I’m certain the value has decreased drastically for this sword but what would be a possible price given for the sword before and after a restoration do you think?
Thanks again.

Duncan 

Hi Duncan, the value would probably be about the cost of the polish, considering the mounts are in rough shape as well. If there is verifiable provenance regarding the capture of the sword that can add considerable value as well. Current value would be a few hundred dollars, maybe more. Not really worth losing a piece of family history over. 

As an Emura, i think the value would be over $1000 even in that condition. There is a very nice hamon starting to show near the machi. I feel that uchiko over time would help a lot here. As would regular oiling and wiping down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't know what your friend's financial situation is, but if he's got some hobby-money this blade looks like it could be quite stunning if a polish were possible.  Considering he got if for free, his expenses would likely equal the value of the gunto.  This was a consideration for me when I debated having my dad's Mantetsu polished.  After polishing, and the cost of replacing some missing fittings, I spent no more than I would have were I to buy a similar one.  Looking back, I'm glad I did it.  It's quite beautiful now.

• Like 2

Often the area under the habaki will show activity of what you may have if polished.

Being a big Emura fan (sold one for 3K) im in have a togi give it a once over to give idea of cost. It may be sticker shock but when that wears off and you go through the waiting game ...worst part for me....when you get the first look of transformation....it will all be forgotten.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..