EMS from Japan to UK has stopped.

Hi all just a word of caution if your importing from Japan. 

EMS has stopped flying to the UK from Japan due to the Ukraine war. I had a uchiko ball from tozando which has now been sent back to the sender. 

However I beleive that other couriers are still flying apparently. 

Regards 

(Ps mods. If you beleive this should go to another section please do)

19 minutes ago, Stephen said:

https://www.dhl.com/jp-en/home/get-a-quote.html.

Nothing but good ( faster than EMS) from Japan to Iowa

I'm leaning towards UPS. I heard mixed things about DHL carrying swords.

Dealers such as Aoi are asking for increased shipping prices aswell. Which is fine as long as it gives us an option of who to choose. 

In an attempt to get sword from America to Australia in Sept/Oct late last year, DHL said they have “unilaterally” stopped sending swords, from August 2021. This was after they accepted it and suggested it was on its way. They initially blamed Australian customs which was not true, and then came back with the response they are not taking swords… not sure if others have had recent success…

cheers Rich

34 minutes ago, Richard Thomas said:

In an attempt to get sword from America to Australia in Sept/Oct late last year, DHL said they have “unilaterally” stopped sending swords, from August 2021. This was after they accepted it and suggested it was on its way. They initially blamed Australian customs which was not true, and then came back with the response they are not taking swords… not sure if others have had recent success…

cheers Rich

Hi Rich I've also heard inconsistent info on DHL sending swords and around the UK. 

As far as I'm aware UPS are the only ones that can be used. 

FedEx don't deal with swords either. What a balls ache 

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

They stopped once because of COVID-19...then came back. Fog of war is a bit thicker.  Maybe Pat can tell us all when it will all end.

Hey Stephen,

Depends how bad circumstances become. Right now terrorisms is what worries me with everything.  Like I have said before, it's REALY EASY for customs to negate any type of antique weapon.  My guess is 1+ years as of now. In my bubble we export $Billion in produce and that has been very problematic. I'm really worried about our 2nd amendment.  

On 3/20/2022 at 1:52 AM, Richard Thomas said:

cheers Rich

Can confirm Richard. I got this back with my returned package after trying to send a tanto from Melbourne to USA. Of course things like this and the fact that EMS hasn't been operating between Japan and Australia for some time now makes collecting very challenging in Aus right now. All we can do is hope sense prevails at some point.

DHL.jpg

1 hour ago, Dr Nihonto said:

Can confirm Richard. I got this back with my returned package after trying to send a tanto from Melbourne to USA. Of course things like this and the fact that EMS hasn't been operating between Japan and Australia for some time now makes collecting very challenging in Aus right now. All we can do is hope sense prevails at some point.

DHL.jpg

Did the sender not give you an option such as UPS? 

I'm hoping senders realize that DHL don't offer this service. And that DHL at least stop collecting swords from sellers. So frustrating. 

As far as I'm aware UPS and EMS (parcelforce uk) are the only legit couriers. 

If anyone has any other recommendations I'd be grateful. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Paz said:

Did the sender not give you an option such as UPS? 

I'm hoping senders realize that DHL don't offer this service. And that DHL at least stop collecting swords from sellers. So frustrating. 

As far as I'm aware UPS and EMS (parcelforce uk) are the only legit couriers. 

If anyone has any other recommendations I'd be grateful. 

I was able to send EMS the next day without any issues, I was just hoping for the quicker delivery time of DHL. The issue is they don't know their own rules when they deal with you, accept the package and then it bounces back.

It is odd because DHL express (courier) doesn't accept swords, but normal DHL post from Germany does. My experience with small items with DHL courier service has been good so far, extremely quick and never any issues. Obviously this comes at a price, but at least the shipping times are short. UPS are probably the best sword shipping service from Japan currently, and possibly worldwide. Fedex is fast, but be very prepared to provide all paperwork to them and wait a few days to clear away all the BS.

48 minutes ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

It is odd because DHL express (courier) doesn't accept swords, but normal DHL post from Germany does. My experience with small items with DHL courier service has been good so far, extremely quick and never any issues. Obviously this comes at a price, but at least the shipping times are short. UPS are probably the best sword shipping service from Japan currently, and possibly worldwide. Fedex is fast, but be very prepared to provide all paperwork to them and wait a few days to clear away all the BS.

That's good to know John. I thought FedEx had completely stopped swords. 

20 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

To be clear I have not used them for along time, so they could certainly have stopped sending swords now. They were a bloody pain to deal with 

Well I just been quoted 200 bucks to use them from Japan. I dont have a choice , until EMS get their routes sorted. 

But I've heard positive things about UPS, and plus they have their own clearing depot too. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..