For sale type 98 Gendaito by Masayasu

MarcoUdin

For sale: early type 98 gendaito signed Bishu ju Masayasu 尾州住正泰 (no date, no stamps), listed as Shoshin mei in Slough's (B). 

Made in the Mino tradition, Kiri yasurime, flowing Masame and Mokume. This blade is full of activity and in a good wartime polish.

Nagasa: 67.5cm

Outstanding mounts, pierced tsuba, center chuso, glossy paint

From Sesko MASAYASU (正泰), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Aichi – “Masayasu” (正泰), family name Shinno (真野), rikugun-jumei-

tōshō, jōkō no retsu (Akihide), Fourth Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941)

According to Malcolm E. Cox he is not listed in RJT program, but he did supply swords to the arsenal.

Asking 2,850usd shipping included conus, for international destinations pm me and we can discuss.

If I missed anything let me know and I'll do my best to get you it.

Edit: forgot to mention a donation to nmb will be made as well.

Compress_20220317_115657_7619.jpg

download (2)~2.jpeg

Compress_20220317_115657_7810.jpg

Compress_20220317_115658_8495.jpg

Compress_20220317_115658_8255.jpg

Compress_20220317_115658_8157.jpg

Compress_20220317_115658_8633.jpg

Compress_20220317_115658_8748.jpg

Compress_20220317_115658_8843.jpg

Compress_20220317_115658_8941.jpg

Compress_20220317_115659_9369.jpg

Compress_20220317_115659_9277.jpg

Compress_20220317_115659_9155.jpg

Compress_20220317_115659_9421.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

That's a lovely looking blade Marc.  If i hadn't just purchased a sword I would have  sent you an offer. Good luck, I'm sure it won't take long to sell. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Final price drop $2,500usd shipped CONUS

This is a nice blade in excellent condition gunto mounts. A lot of activity to study and a perfect starter blade for a new collection. 

A dealer has a similar blade for sale by the same smith for almost 4k and it's not even mounted.

I'm surprised by the lack of interest.

• Like 1

No offence taken. I'm not disagreeing with you, but not everybody can own an Okimasa either. As I said an excellent study piece because of the visible activity and in decent polish. Would be perfect for a new collector making a jump to traditional blades.

What- exactly is Lonely Planet saying? Priced too high for the mid range quality segment? Sorry I'm dense.

In these situations, how is the payment system usually handled- been wondering about that for some time...based on trust that the last payment is rewarded by the vendor shipping merchandise or are the payments held in a separate account?

I think what he's saying (and ignoring the rules about commenting on pricing) is that this falls into that difficult mid level. Cheap and nasty swords sell fast. Top end stuff sells fast. It's the middle range that is hardest to sell, even whent he swords are very nice. Just out of reach for the entry-level guys, and beneath the top level guys.
Not going to turn this into a discussion. But this is where the entry-level guys should be finding just a few more $'s and reaching for. Rather one of these than 3 or 4 of the cheap and rusted bottom of the range.
Anyways...it's someone's listing, so please respect the rules.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DaveFarr said:

In these situations, how is the payment system usually handled

Since this isn't a high priced item I prefer PayPal, usually paid off in a 60-90 day period. But yes, you would just have to trust the seller(me), ships the item upon final payment. Of course I can give you recommendations from others I've done transactions with.

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Cheap and nasty swords sell fast. Top end stuff sells fast. It's the middle range that is hardest to sell

That's what I understood

1 hour ago, Deoma said:

If still available by the first of may.

I'll PM you if still available come May.

On 4/10/2022 at 1:45 PM, MarcoUdin said:

Since this isn't a high priced item I prefer PayPal, usually paid off in a 60-90 day period. But yes, you would just have to trust the seller(me), ships the item upon final payment. Of course I can give you recommendations from others I've done transactions with.

That's what I understood

I'll PM you if still available come May.

Thank you, I mostly dealt with swords from my grandpa on dads side(American),and mothers side(Okinawa) both sides fought in WW2 US grandpa/Philippines  still loathed my moms dad and grand-dad(IJN).  Still have both of our Kai gunto.  After the surrender My moms family hid the swords in family cave(grave).  My grndpa(dad side) brought back a dozen and handed them as gifts to family.  I fell in love with swords when grandpa showed me his and how it was our family sword from when Okinawa fought the Japanese in 1800s.  

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 10:11 AM, Brian said:

I think what he's saying (and ignoring the rules about commenting on pricing) is that this falls into that difficult mid level. Cheap and nasty swords sell fast. Top end stuff sells fast. It's the middle range that is hardest to sell, even whent he swords are very nice. Just out of reach for the entry-level guys, and beneath the top level guys.
Not going to turn this into a discussion. But this is where the entry-level guys should be finding just a few more $'s and reaching for. Rather one of these than 3 or 4 of the cheap and rusted bottom of the range.
Anyways...it's someone's listing, so please respect the rules.

Brian, your perspective is spot on! This is something that newbie collectors should learn as soon as possible. Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...