Intrigued by this super strange tsuba.

Spartancrest

I do like the strange ones - but this is super strange. https://www.jauce.com/auction/f1041590625

At first glance it looks like a simple mokume with gold and silver decoration with the addition of a jewel/ red stone/ glass?[not important]

image.png.546c535b31ebd926424f428b35db96a6.png

But it is what is on the other side that is just plain weird!  It looks like two railway spikes have been incorporated into the guard. - Just speculation but could this be a sword catcher/breaker? The two spikes would be pointing toward the blade of course or you would never be able to hold the tsuka otherwise. Has anyone ever seen anything similar before?  65 mm across by 4 cm high

image.png.df70e8e30786ed2d875d822291754331.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Dale,

that is quite special indeed! 

The stone might be red chalcedony, or of course glass. These protrusions do not look like a later addition to the TSUBA, so I believe this to be a special item made on individual demand! I think you are correct with your assumption of blade catches. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Jeremiah I think the width of the tsuba makes it too narrow for the pegs (prongs?) to go over the hand. The sharp hooked ends would be a bit fist unfriendly.  I think the designer had aspects of a Jitte (十手) in mind. The size would be consistent with a Wakizashi so it may have been used like a Main-gauche.

image.thumb.png.d660e458a60b93df11013ced2f0cd0d6.png

Or may even have seen something like these Chinese weapons?

image.png.52191b0f0db53b35d1595901d6b6ea22.png

• Like 2

When we see red stones like this on tsuba, I usually expect red coral. It's already a material that they used occasionally. Check that out.
As for what it is...gut instinct tells me it was not worn on a sword like that, and may have been repurposed as something completely different. But I have no proof of that or what it was, so I guess just an unusual item. But was certainly altered later, as can be seen by the added decoration.

• Like 2

Chris you are right, I think ebay has something similar. However in order for me to even put in a bid on Jauce, I need to have the money already in my Jauce account. Unlike ebay who take the risk if you won't pay - Jauce takes no risk, they want your money up front. They have just started 'giving credit' to long term clients, setting a limit depending on your buyer history. The credit is only good for 24 hrs whereby you must deposit the funds - also the 'credit' only works if your account has some funds still in it, even if only a few dollars/yen. Perhaps the other buyer was working on credit and had second thoughts or couldn't get to his bank? I don't know but there may be different rules for Japanese buyers?

Chris, I just had a thought - [I try to limit them to one a day!] - Even though I was bidding through Jauce, the tsuba may have been listed on Buyee or Yahoo or even some other linked site that follow different rules, so perhaps not the great mystery I was thinking it was?

Even though I got it by default I am looking forward to seeing just how it was constructed, struck me yesterday that if you were putting parrying bars on a guard why put them next to the weakened area near the hitsu? Why have hitsu to start with and as Eric pointed out, why round hitsu?

• Like 1

The "more decorated" side is usually the one facing out when the sword is in the saya. Therefore I do not think this was meant to be mounted as such. Coral is a common element so not all that weird to see especially this late. Japanese and not Chinese. Very interested to see how the stand/spikes were attached...

-tch

• Like 2

Quite interesting. I personally think the "more decorated" side would still have been mounted facing out while worn, in this case. From a functional point of view, I also cannot see a good reason to suggest otherwise, especially if the prongs serve as catchers. It does vary, but a general rule of thumb is that the Tsuba sits approximately one fist from the body when sheathed. Taking sword angle into account, the prongs shouldn't interfere with the body. From a drawing sword point of view, there may be some hindering for the hand reaching the koiguchi. Less so though, than compared to having the prongs as hand guards

Edited by Steves87
Added more

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me what this object was used for? It has similar 'prongs' to the tsuba in this thread - but three rather than two.

The original Japanese is 《氷》南部鉄器 鈴木盛久造 鉄製 五徳 蓋置 共箱 (検) 鉄瓶 鉄壷 初荷 骨董 古玩 古美術品 古道具 H61

https://www.jauce.com/auction/o1038455926  Nambu tekki - something to do with making tea or for tea ceremony?

image.png.951784293ed4ae13c4db24beeb2b0cd2.png

Yes, these come in various sizes. Usually cast iron.  I searched for what seemed like ages to find an old one, and having reluctantly bought a new one then discovered a nest of antique ones.

That little one however is being used as a decorative stand for the e-shaku dipper.

The word 五徳 Gotoku itself is interesting as it contains the meaning of ‘five virtues’. Recently I saw a double-yoker shaped with two semi rings and five legs. You bury the legs in the ash and place your iron kettle on top.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..