Help with Tsuba

JustinJustin

Hello-

I recently picked up this unsigned Tsuba online. As I am new to Nihon to and Tsuba I would be curious as to any thoughts on this piece. It is open work iron but I am unable to tell if is cast or forged or even authentic. 

Any input would be much appreciated!

Kindly,

Justin

0DB97CD2-6929-4213-AF55-CA3055570D9F.jpeg

Looks like a proper Heianjo school tsuba.

I can't say that I've seen many that size, so I think that's unusual. Congrats on the purchase :thumbsup:

I haven't seen anything cast that has proper inlays like yours. The cast ones have their surfaces gilded or painted to "look" like they have inlays.

Yours looks legit to me.

The opening in the center (nakago-ana) looks a bit wide, and the sides are more curved than the usual triangular "wedge" shape, so I'm not too sure what this tsuba was mounted on.

There's usually little punch marks (tagane-ato) along that opening that help "pinch" it onto the blade it's being fitted to, and can often end up looking pretty "beat up" from a visual perspective. But, those are missing from yours.

I wonder if at some point, a previous owner decided to file all that "roughness" out from the center, thinking it would be "more presentable" that way.

Just a hunch though...

• Like 3

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I will definitely read up on the heianjo school. That’s an interesting hypothesis about filing the center and was something that definitely threw me as the authentic ones that I’ve looked at all have that “beat up” look. 
If at all helpful or interesting for you or others I can include some measurements. 

diameter: 56 mm

nakago-Ana: 26x7 mm

Thank You-

Justin

• Thanks 1

Hi-

Thank you for the comparison photos of your beautiful tsuba. Do similar patterns such as yours and mine imply that they were likely made by the same smith or just a generic pattern which was replicated by many? 

Here is a picture of one eBay for sale in Japan currently--though not nearly as pretty. 

Image 3 - Heianjo Tsuba guard radish ivy brass inlay Japan Samurai sword fitting katana

Kindly,

Justin

• Like 1

The daikon is a remarkable plant, the entire plant is edible and used not just for food. There are even recipes where daikon is used to patinate iron. 

It is a popular theme on tsuba in almost all schools. If a particular design is popular many 'utsushi' will be found trying to emulate the design - not direct copies but a different take on the original as a form of homage to the design.

Another one here - not as nice as your example. https://www.antiquesreporter.com.au/index.cfm/lot/241260-a-large-mid-edo-period-pierced-iron-tsuba-for-katana-18th-centur/

image.thumb.png.1710fb12d9e60bc9c356a69ba4eb5dda.png

This one is probably Shoami -  Another very fine sukashi is found here [images are copyrighted] http://nihontocraft.com/Tanshu_Sadamasa_Tsuba.htm

image.png.72e847f96006824e5c18a1586d38afae.png

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..