Searching for Omura Kaboku

MarcoUdin

There was one in Australia a few years back but beyond my budget. He is very highly sought after in Japan as well, so not a lot in circulation. In five years in Japan going to four or more kantei-kai a month I never saw one. Don't recall seeing any pop up in the Dai To-ken Ichi catalogues either. Only ever saw the one blade in the TNM exhibit in 1997 and it was spectacular...

-t

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Also fascinated by Kaboku, I started studying his apprentices and ended up with a beautiful wakazashi and a very powerful katana both by Musashi Taro Yasukuni. Both lovely pieces with more than a small influence from Kaboku. I look at them as a blend of skills, materials, and influences between the two sword-smiths.

Hello , in reply to your question , dose anyone own a blade by Omura Kaboku , well yes I have , what I think is a very rare blade 

its a jumonji yari , double signed , I have had a window polished on 1 side of the main blade, it’s very alive the grain is fantastic , I know he is  a smith , who could quite possibly have his signature faked, but would you go to the trouble of doing this to a Yari.

it has been on the wall of , what we call  in England a pub (bar) for over 50 years , then on the wall of a antique dealers house for around 10 years , I acquired it last year . It is in very sound condition , no flaws , just tarnished from years of resting on 2 walls for over 60 years . I have just joined the message board to so I hope I have gave you new information. It has a short pole 

it still has mother of pearl on the shaft and is double pegged with copper mekugi , it took me carefully 2 days to convince the blade to come out of the pole , no damage , but very tight and just staring to get very light live rust in the tang. Brendan 

B7DF2028-9CFD-4899-85D8-7539E42193CF.jpeg

E695CA95-4023-4520-BEE0-50934CBDBF05.jpeg

0B9F8E79-F5C4-43D9-A405-F883668B5BC0.jpeg

FF9A46CF-A126-4503-9B71-946AE921FB94.jpeg

16AE9C47-7EDA-4DD2-8A81-21FF87CAEC62.jpeg

D7475B8F-E888-4E77-802A-3A57DA59EE6E.jpeg

• Like 5

Hello , in reply to your question , dose anyone own a blade by Omura Kaboku , well yes I have , what I think is a very rare blade 

its a jumonji yari , double signed , I have had a window polished on 1 side of the main blade, it’s very alive the grain is fantastic , I know he is  a smith , who could quite possibly have his signature faked, but would you go to the trouble of doing this to a Yari.

it has been on the wall of , what we call  in England a pub (bar) for over 50 years , then on the wall of a antique dealers house for around 10 years , I acquired it last year . It is in very sound condition , no flaws , just tarnished from years of resting on 2 walls for over 60 years . I have just joined the message board to so I hope I have gave you new information. It has a short pole 

it still has mother of pearl on the shaft and is double pegged with copper mekugi , it took me carefully 2 days to convince the blade to come out of the pole , no damage , but very tight and just staring to get very light live rust in the tang. Brendan 

Hi Thomas,  not sure if I will have a full restoration done, I’ve had in over 48 years of collecting over a 100 swords , which 

with my late father we acquired . When he passed away , I sold them all . Each one had a particular memory, of were we had 

gone and found them. It was time to let some body else look after them. This is the first Yari I have ever owned . Now I’m retired, I keep my eye open , but there are not the outlets in England like there used to be to find them , it’s all on the Internet .

Brendan .

• 1 year later...
On 5/16/2022 at 9:27 PM, Brendan campbell said:

B7DF2028-9CFD-4899-85D8-7539E42193CF.jpeg

E695CA95-4023-4520-BEE0-50934CBDBF05.jpeg

0B9F8E79-F5C4-43D9-A405-F883668B5BC0.jpeg

FF9A46CF-A126-4503-9B71-946AE921FB94.jpeg

16AE9C47-7EDA-4DD2-8A81-21FF87CAEC62.jpeg

D7475B8F-E888-4E77-802A-3A57DA59EE6E.jpeg

Almost a year old, but 1 year in nihonto is a single breath. This mei looks very suspect to me. The piece itself has little to none of the classic Kaboku hallmarks, that I can see. Personal opinion - but if it's genuine I'd be amazed.

19 hours ago, Toryu2020 said:

The powder doesn't help - curious to see more of that grain - have you compared the Mei to known examples?

-t

Yes, you're right about the powder. Here's a comparison of just 2 characters, 2 pics (actual and rubbing) from a papered Kaboku and a pic from the example above. They're quite different, not just in form but what I would describe as 'surety' or 'positivity of stroke' when engraving. The example above seems almost timid/apologetic and the papered versions of the same characters have a definite confidence about them.

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 20.17.03.png

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 20.16.20.png

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 20.15.42.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..