New Member Introductions

Welcome aboard James!
Thank you, Thomas -- it feels good to be here.
You really must tell us all about those heady days in 1960s Tokyo. The elder Inami-san and the Japan Sword Co. in that era are legend to most of us here. Looking forward to your cntributions,

-t

They were heady days indeed, Thomas. I do have many great stories to relate about (the elder) Inami-san and the Japan Sword Co. shop. I will try to not embellish them too much, but now that I am an Oji-san I think I am capable of doing that. Of course I will be recollecting people and events of some fifty years ago -- but I will give it my best shot. Right now it is thirty minutes past midnight in Tucson so I will not be able to do any story telling in this post. Only old-age insomnia brings me to the keyboard but my eyes are tiring and so I must sign off. Again, Thomas, thank you for the warm reception. Until tomorrow, then.

James

• 1 month later...

Well well where to begin. After reading through the flora of people here on the forum I decided that it would only be appropriate that I introduced myself to everyone here.

My name is Heidar/Gudnason and I am 30 years old and I live in Iceland. I guess my fascination with the samurai sword began as a child when i wanted to become a ninja and used to dress up as one and make nihonto of my own usually consisting of any wooden or metal handle i could find in my small town. I bear a scar that reminds me of it every day when a friend of mine threw a home made shuriken that landed just below my eye in playtime that got a 'little' out of hand. :) That earned me a trip to the doctor and a small scar that impresses girls still this day ;)

I´ve always been a martial arts movie fanatic as well as admiring the sport as well. Although recent years I have moved my interest towards the mixed martial arts. (MMA).

I am a sailor and work on a fishing boat that holds 20 burly men and we mainly fish herring and mackerel across the Atlantic from Greenland to Norway.

I enjoy snowboarding, hunting, camping, football (soccer) and cooking good spicy food.

-"Hvað er það við samúræja sverðið sem gerir það svona merkilegt?"

Feel free to ask me anything from learning something about Iceland or how to tie a bowline :) You know what I mean.:)

I thought i´d post a picture so that you could see the face behind the words.

sjomannad.jpg?t=1319163810

Best wishes.

-Heidar.

Hello... just found this board after quite a bit of looking around. Been consumed with older Japanese swords for past year and finally made a first purchase, will post detail in the appropriate topic, and Im very happy to find such a knowledgable community.

Thanks!

Eric

Hi All,

Another newish member, it has taken me a while to get around to this introduction. I have been collecting/studying for a while and have enjoyed good times with one or two of the board members over the years. I collect mainly swords though I find it hard to resist the urge to rescue almost anything Japanese that I come across, hence the clutter in my sword room. I will try to post a couple of pictures on the relevant thread.

Geraint

Hi All,

Another newish member, it has taken me a while to get around to this introduction. I have been collecting/studying for a while and have enjoyed good times with one or two of the board members over the years. I collect mainly swords though I find it hard to resist the urge to rescue almost anything Japanese that I come across, hence the clutter in my sword room. I will try to post a couple of pictures on the relevant thread.

Geraint

Welcome young Wilton....not befor time may I say.

Roy

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to each and everyone of you!

I found this topic again and thought i should do the formal introduction procedure.

Firstly my name is Ernst and i am in Australia.

I have had an interest in Japanese swords since watching 'Shintaro the Samurai' back in the 60's (late 60's, so probably re-runs). My first sword was given to me as a graduation present, i'll never forget the feeling of holding a piece of history in my hands.....the mesmerising beauty of the blade.... awesome.

To this day i still get excited when i come across one.

Having watched this board, finding the topics interesting, members helpful, and containing such a high knowledge base,(yes i've been impressed!) i thought i would like to join and hopefully learn more.

Perhaps make some friends out of a common interest that we all share.

Cheers

Ernst

Hello, my name is Paul and I live in USA/Texas.

First I would like say how much I enjoy your site and it's obvious I have a lot to learn, my interest in custom tactical folders/fixed blades lead to this site, I spent hours reading through the different trends last night and have landed a great place to learn, I have always had an interest in Japanese swords not only for their history but for the craftsmanship and art as well.

I wish to own an original antique piece one day, but until then I study and learn.

Looking forward to making new friends and discussing my new found adventure.

Thanks again!!!

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, my name is Andy and I'm from the Uk- though I currently live in Japan.

I've been interested in Japanese history and art since I was a kid and its a big part of what drew me to come to the land of the rising sun.

I have a modest collection of Japanese art/antiques including a few swords and its wanting to know more about nihonto that brought be here.

I must say this is a fantastic site with well-informed members and fascinating topics and articles. I am very much a novice when it comes to nihonto but I hope in time to become more knowledgeable with the help of the great members on here.

Nice to meet you all :glee:

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

My name is Thomas Kennedy. I am a teacher in Fairbanks, Alaska. I have been interested in nihonto for about 10 years. I have spent considerable time building up a decent library and have made many of the mistakes that beginning collectors make. I have an interest in many different eras of nihonto manufacture.

I was extremely active in the hobby about 10 years ago and treasure conversations and discussions with Phil Fellman and others. My first katana was an oil drenched gunto by Seki Yoshimichi. I then purchased a very nice chojigunome Chounsai Emura blade in Marine 1944 fittings from Tazmania. Since then I have purchased several other blades including a Sue Bizen Uchigatana by Kiyomitsu that I had polished by David Hofine and fitted in reproduction saya and tsuka. I have an Oei Period Bizen Katana that has been shortened that is probably my best piece. I have another wak marked Bishu Norimitsu that fits but was probably from the massproduction days.

I also have several Gimei blades. I have one very old taichi that was cut down to be a wak that is marked Heinjo Nagayoshi which may be an attribution that I bought from Canada. I also have a Tadayoshi (Gimei-Daimei-Interesting conversations with Robert Robertshaw on it) that I figure is haunted by the Miura(silver Mons) clan-Long story but very interesting piece that is in Naval fittings.

I have several other pieces as well but I probably have more money into books than swords.

I have taken care of them but have spent more time with wrestling which I coach and hunting which I pursue. I kind of got pulled back in when I "saved" a Shingunto blade at an auction this past weekend. I found this message board and waalaa. The Shingunto is in tough shape but it has a very interesting story and supposedly fought its way out of vietnam. No haunting ghost dreams yet so we will see but it is a very interesting old blade with several sword cuts to the ha luckily none appear to be fatal.

Sincerely,

Thomas

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings to everyone.

I have just joined the forum and already I am finding some very interesting topics to read . There is alot to learn here. I'm also looking forward to getting to know other members here and there interests on this forum. I am based in Australia.

Sometimes, I feel there is little information here in Australia regarding all things Japanese in the antique sector and the lack of knowledgeable people here :bang: So this forum will be of great help to me as a small collector.

Regards,

Mark.