New Member Introductions

*eyes Jean* I haven't looked up the levels yet but I'm betting Daimyo means something like "he knows what he's talking about so shut up and listen"... or warlord. Either way it's someone I should pay attention to. *grin* Nice to see humor is acceptable cause I'm gonna have a lot of humorous questions I fear.

David! Thank you for the quick response. My intrests right now are mostly centered on the sword I recently purchased. It's the second one, the first was the piece of junk I referred to earlier. Anyway I'm trying to learn all I can about the second to make purchasing the next one an even better experience.

This one's signed and has been translated for me as Noshu ju ?da Kanetada. I'm trying to find out who that might be and when it's from. I'm trying to find the kanji on my own. (Of course I spent 20 minutes the other night trying to figure out what saku means so this may not be a great idea.) I'm also developing a delight in menuki but I don't really care about tsubas. Go figure.

Anyway... I'm sure I'll see you guys around!

*sputter/laugh* I didn't want to say anything in case he's self-conscious.

Welcome on board

I'm looking forward to picking all your brains!

IMHO, for my case, you shall have a tough task as during my last scanner docs were unable to locate it .... :laughabove: :laughabove:

And he types with a french accent....... :dunno: :crazy:

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys ;

just found out about this site and its looking really great so far....i am in the market for a few shin gunto and want to deal in the uk so i wont have any customs bother to deal with , so if any of you guys reading this can help me out or push in the direction of some good dealers i would be grateful

over and out

lionel

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, Im a noob :) And my name is Niclas Gudmundsson and I live in Sweden.

But I have been looking at these sword since I was a child. Now Im 35 and have a steady income, so now I probably can buy some real swords. Ehumm, I just did on Ebay a long waki from yumi something.

This I just bought for studying a real blade. (I hope its real)

I have been studying in books and on internet as much as I can, and Im learning slowly about these lovely swords.

When I get my blade I will post some pictures so that you all can guide me in the terminology.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Nihonto Message Board! My name is Josh. I'm in Portland, OR, and a very, very new sword aficionado. My wife bought me a Paul Chen Practical Katana for Christmas last year, and since then I've been full steam ahead learning about the real thing. I recently purchased a mumei gendaito from a collector. I would love to pick your collective brains about a few things, but I need to first get a few good photos of it. I'm glad to be here!

-Josh

Dear Brian,

I once asked my old dentist ( now deceased ), ... if by chance he knew of a Simon Wiesenthal, .... he snapped back ... " if you mean Joseph Mengele, ... he vas mine teacher ". The dental assistant stood there completely blank. She was kinda cute ;) .

... Ron Watson

Greg C., from NY, USA. I always loved the look of a katana and hoped to one day own one.

Fast forward: a recent introduction to the art of Iaido really got the katana urge rekindled. Of course, I bought the 1st piece offered to me and then began to read all I could find. I bought books and began scouring Internet, including here, as a guest. I quickly surmised I was the owner of an overweight piece of Chinese junk. The good folks here quickly verified it. I registered here, bought more books, and now begin more serious study. Thank to all who have already given freely. This place is a fount of knowledge.

• 3 weeks later...

Please accept my apologies for not introducing myself earlier as a new member. I came across this site yesterday and dove head-first into asking about an old knife in my meager collection. Matt and Brian responded immediatley and kindly helped me with some answers. I knew right away that this was a site for true enthusiasts.

I was a casual Nihonto gatherer in the early '90s until I got married. I made out great on that deal, but it did put quite a damper on where I wanted to take my collection.

All that's left is a very old Wak (my first lesson and what turned out to be a broken Katana cut down to Wak-size), an Edo period Katana, and of course, the old soldier's knife.

Most of my reference material survived, but I've forgotten so much over the years. It's time to get back on the saddle!

Thanks for undulging me and I look forward to reading a great deal more on this site!

Well hereby my little introduction,

I am Rick from the Netherlands, I am 27 an just bought my first Katana. I thought it be a good idea to read as much as I can so registered here, hearing this is a very good forum.

I have always been fascinated by Katana's but always saw them as not affordable so never really bothered looking for one. Hopefully this will change in the future.

I am also very interested in WWII Katana's as I collect WWII items as well.

Looking forward to read up and meet the people here!

Cheers,

Rick

Hello, My name is Cliff. i am in my late 20's and I reside in Canada. And have been a collector of swords and knives for several years now. But the Katana is one area that captures me more then any other. I have been searching for several years now, trying to locate an informative site. that could help me in locating rather beautiful pieces for my collection, and that can help me in locating living shinsakuto swordsmith as well as authentic swordsmiths who can produce the real deal. now I just recently commissioned a piece being done hand forged and clay tempered, by Akio Hattori himself, who is working with *deleted* out of Quebec,CA. As a memorial piece for my mothers recent passing, which will be etched on the blade in Japanese characters, "The strength of my mother, is that of a thousand men standing behind me." and will also feature a "Standing Crane" etched in to the blade, the Ito, Saya, and Ray skin, will all be white. I am hoping it comes out to be an outstanding piece.(i will post pictures once i get the piece in my hand), I am sure it will be both eligant and very much usable since i already own a knights sword made by DSA, But I am looking for katana's that will be real outstanding quality pieces, not just for cutting and practice but also to be show worthy, historical treasures. And to learn as much as I can about these sacred blades as I can. that all being said the older the better.

*Just a side note* I have 2 other Akio Hattori Katana's on order, but they were not made by Akio personally but rather by his students. I will post photos of these also to show there quality. you can find a video on youtube showing demonstration of there ability link is here( *deleted* )

Well thats just a short little bit about myself and what i am hopping to learn and find in this community.

*And yes I to am sick of the huge flood of cheap chinese made replica's that is flooding the sword collecting market these days*

Cliff

G'day Cliff, something tells me these swords are "Shinken", not Shinsakuto. If this is the case, they are not Nihonto. before spending any more money, may I suggest that you check out the difference.

Hi David, Thanks for the response and the heads up, But i am a lil confused and lack of understanding which is why i joined on to here, but I was under the understanding that the word Shinken was derived from the word Shinsakuto both of which mean "true sword or real sword", now i may be wrong on this and i probally am wrong. i have spent more time buying, training and using then i have actually studying the history and smithing asspects behind them. and if i understand correctly "Nihonto" refers to a all Japanese swords Includes ken, naginata, yari, tachi, katana, wakizashi and tanto made through a specific forging technique. and of which are quite historical and artistic. like i said my understanding is probally way off. but that is why i am here. is to learn.

So please anyone feel free to point me in the dirrection of some reading materials where i can learn the clear deffinetion between them.

Thank you in advance.

Cliff