New Member Introductions

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Complete newcomer, rather interested with my first forays into the collecting / sword world. It has been only a very short while since I've stepped in here, but I am looking forward to learning more!

请·多·执教。

- Jack

Welcome Jack.  As another new-starter to the hobby, I can confirm that this is an excellent place to learn!  Loads of really experienced people who are willing to share (in some cases) lifetimes of experience and knowledge.

If you are any good with driving the "Search" function (I'm not!) there's a mass of really useful info available from many years of contributions.

Cheers,

Jon

Hi, everyone!

Its been two years since I started to collect swords and I am glad I did.

Due to the pandemic I needed a new hobby and found the SBG (Sword buyers guide) but I realised you where collecting antiques here and I like it better:) 

Well have a nice nice day and enjoy your swords.

Tony

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I’ll be brief; Humble beginner here and knowledge is what I’m looking foremost. I recently heard the call and a couple of hours later, I was looking at what is now my first nihonto.

Thanks for having a young grasshopper like me and I’m looking forward to knowing you all!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, b.hennick said:

Welcome  Jean-Sebastien there are a few of us Canadians here. There is a lot to learn. And lots to enjoy.

Hi Barry,

Thanks! Anyone from Quebec? Would be awesome to exchange on the topic in person while looking at some swords. 😉

52 minutes ago, b.hennick said:

Hello

There is a good sword dealer that lives in Montreal. Hi name is Nick Ricupero  His website is Nihonto Art.

Also in Quebec is Pierre Nadeau. Pierre went to Japan and trained as a sword smith. He did not complete his training. His website is http://soulsmithing.com/

Thank you again Barry! I would love to meet that guy. Maybe I’ll get lucky and @Nickupero will show up here.

Well, I’ve decided to join! It’s my first forum/social media platform so it’s all a bit new. However I’ve been heavily into Japanese history and arts for over 40 years…..ever since a dealer showed me a Japanese sword. I was totally hooked. Collected swords but then sold them all more than 30 years ago. (I try not to think about it!!) My interest expanded  into different arts….Meiji metalwork, cloisonné, okimono, netsuke etc. Dealt in all these for over 30 years in parallel with a corporate career . Now fully retired from everything. However Nihonto always tugged away at my subconscious. I’ve just sold my whole collection of Japanese art and am returning to swords…ie where it all started those many years ago. It’s like coming home really. Haven’t been this excited for quite a while. Really looking forward to being part of this superb forum. When I get the hang of it I will seek your assistance and opinions on a sword or two that have already entered the household. Meantime best wishes to all of you, stay well in these troubled times. Colin

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ChrisW said:

Welcome!

There are also numerous Token Kai stateside in the midwest if you're ever in the area as well as many dealers too!

Thanks Chris,

I was thinking a bit more local… 😉

Welcome to the fold, Colin! 

I joined early this year, but coming from a non-Japanese interest background. This place is a treasure trove of info on all things nihonto, tosogu, and everything else in between. I guess you need to catch up, so read, read, read, then read more. The nihonto info tab at the top is great place to start, but I tend to browse around and get lost for a few hours (and days). The rabbit hole goes deep!

Hi Charles,

Thank you for the invitation. It’s a good 5:00 drive from where I’m from and I don’t go near Toronto often, but I’ll remember that and will make sure to let you know if I’m near you.

I only have one sword at the moment so anything I can lay my eyes on and inspect is a blessing at this point.

Hi everyone,

As mentioned, I’m only at the start of my journey into Nihonto. I have only one sword at the moment, but it’s a nice one and I would love to show it to you guys and get your appreciation of the blade and discuss everything there’s to discuss about it (period, smith, blade attributes…), but I don’t know how to go about it. Any suggestions on how I should write my post to optimize the discussion?

Thanks!

Thank you Ken. It is indeed a good place to start and now I wonder why I didn’t think about it… 🤦🏻‍♂️

I’ll have a look at those 1.5K+ post here… Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i would like to reintroduce myself. I created long time ago this account, but i was not really active. Because of different reasons but one was the stop of Iaido training.

Last months i started again in interessting in nihonto, so i was suprised my account was'nt deleted. So i reactived the account and directly bought i nihonto in this forum. Maybe to fast we will see. 

My other Japanese interest are koryu martial arts schools, shinto muso ryu jo (school of stickfighting against sword) i am training and Japanese jeans. 

So my second start is a little bit different, 

regards

Oli

PS: sorry with my english, i am not native speaker/writer