New Member Introductions

Welcome Masahiro san. Glad to have you here. You are lucky in that you have access to viewing wonderful swords. I hope we can be of assistance. Take some time and browse around, you will find lots of info and many members willing to help.

Brian

Hello Everybody, I´m Adal from Spain, I´m a Japanese culture entuthiastic but I have to admit my knowledge is very limited and I think I´ve found the best place for learning from your expertise and your experience; so thank you very much everybody. Saludos desde España.

Hello everyone!

My name is Florian, I live in Heidelberg, Germany. I learn Japanese for a while, and ever since I held a blade with my own hands and saw this beauty in the sword museum in Seki during an exchange,

I am fascinated by Japanese swords. Some weeks ago my dream came true and I own a Sword by myself, which I will introduce separately.

Kind Regards,

Florian

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I’m Jamie from Yorkshire England, I’ve always been a massive collector of vintage comic books and video games, I’ve recently purchased my first home and I’m looking to decorate with a new collection of antique sword fittings.

I’ve joined the group hoping to learn all I can before making any miss purchases!

Thanks for reading

Welcome Jamie.

You do realise what you are getting yourself into, don't you?  A lifetime of study, hours of struggling with Japanese signatures, the constant need to buid more bookshelves etc, etc.  There are some significant collections in museums in the UK for you to look at as well.

Quite a few of us in the UK and given where you are make contact with the Northern Token Society, also the Token Society of Great Britain.  Lots of helpful people.

All the best.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon to all!  I became a member today to fulfill my first step in learning as my fascination in Nihonto  as an art form grows.  

I am a US Navy veteran, served for 33 years and retired back in 2016.  I’ve been interested in WW2 memorabilia’s (US and Japan) since I could remember growing up in the Philippines.  I have a couple of Gunto but I want to learn more about traditionally made swords.

I have a lot of readings to do and I hope to be an active participant in this forum.

Best regards,

Arnel S

( Murrieta, California)

Thank you Barry.  Looking forward to learn more, slowly but surely!  Just ordered “The Connoisseurs Book of Japanese Swords” by Kokan Nagayama.  I have reviewed some of the posts and I am amazed with the wealth of knowledge and integrity of members to point novices like me in the right direction.

Best regards,

Arnel S

Hello.  My name is Lorraine H. I'm a retired scientist, writer, and videogame fanatic who lives in Florida, USA. I recently came into possession of two swords surrendered in Toyko at the end of WWII.  I'm a newbie to nihonto collecting and lore, and I'm hoping to find help translating the mei before deciding on the next steps of restoration (they are both quite rusted). One sword has standard Japanese army mountings and a mei with three kanji.  The other has only its wooden saya, no mountings, and is signed on both sides of the tang. If either sword has heirloom value to the families that once owned them, and if I could locate those people, I'd gladly repatriate them.  If not, I want to restore them and give them a place of honor in my home.

Yes, welcome, Lorraine. There are quite a number of us who are scientists & engineers, so you're in good, if strange, company.

There is an NMB section on translation where you can post photos of the mei (signatures), oriented with the point of the blade up. Overall shots of the blade can go into the Nihonto section.

Also, please go to your Profile, & enter your first name, so it will appear on every post - saves time typing it each time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I'm Paul from England and I've been interested in Japanese swords and associated items for a long time. I like the artistry and craftmanship that goes into them and I'm in awe of the skill used when crafting them.