New Member Introductions

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys i have had an interest in all things Japanese for many years and have a joint  collection of nihonto with my dad

i am a complete novice when it comes to the study of nihonto but am catching up fast with this amazing board and the knowledge that its members have.

hope you all have a great christmas

regards

chris h

Greg here.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  First post and a  little story to share...

Just got back 3 weeks ago from a trip to Japan.  Last time I was there was in 1985 for the Tsukuba Expo.

Couldn't go to Japan without rekindling my love for Nihonto.  I went to a total of 4 sword shops, 3 in Tokyo, 1 in Kyoto.  I asked for shinsakuto only.   Please note that I went from knowing next to nothing about nihonto to knowing very little.  The folks at the shops I went to were prepared to show me mei and all, but I didn't about that at the time.

They had 3 shinsakuto. Didn't find any that truly sang to me.

2nd shop (
Ken san showed me a katana.  Unfortunately, he made a mistake. It was already sold.  On to the 2nd, a daisho that was within my budget, but they had shirasaya only.  I asked to see another sword and I added that I prefer one with koshirae.  The 3rd sword had a noticeable gouge on the mune. I was told that it was considered a lucky sword because it was gouged during a fight and the wielder was saved by the blade. I asked to see a 4th sword.  This was it!  I found out via a follow-up email that the sword I purchased was made in 2007 by Akamatsu Taro Kanetsugu.   While reading through Aoi Art's website later that night I found out that they prefer that customers call or email first to request an appointment to view swords. The folks there went out of their way to accommodate me and that was very much appreciated.

3rd shop (Kyoto, https://www.tozandoshop.com, Shogoin store)
They had only antiques at the time.

4th shop (Tokyo, http://world.seiyudo.com/)
Last day in Japan. Wife and daughter went shopping for clothes in Uniqlo. I went on my own to look for Seiyudo in Ginza. Took me a while to find the place. The address didn't say anything about the shop being in a mall on the 2nd floor.  Good thing I chanced upon a delivery man who knew where the shop was.  The lady at the shop followed me around with a notebook listing all the swords they had.   Most of those behind glass were beyond my budget.  I spotted some on a rack and asked to see one of them.  This was it again!  It was made in 2004 by a smith named "Kaneteru". The lady said it would take about 3 weeks to get the export permit. I filled in the paperwork and off I went.

Epilogue...
I didn't know Kanetsugu and Kaneteru are brothers.
While waiting for the swords, I purchased Facts and Fundamentals of Japanese Swords: A Collector's Guide and The Art of the Japanese Sword: The Craft of Swordmaking and its Appreciation.
Aoi Art sent an email two weeks ago that they received the export permit and asked if it would be ok to send the nihonto on the 2nd week of January instead to avoid it getting lost in the mail (even via EMS) due to the Christmas rush. I told them I  defer to their wisdom.
Monday last week I got an email from Mr. Shono at Seiyudo saying that they received the export permit and that they sent the sword already that day. The package arrived last last Saturday! I thought the Kaneteru had koshirae only.  Mr. Shono mentioned in his email that they realized that the sword also came with a shirasaya and they included it in the box.
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for accepting me as a new member. I'm a long-time collector of Japanese art objects, including early bronzes, woodprints and even haircombs, but completely new to swords. I join today in search of information related to a sword given to me by a family member. It is purported to have been picked-up from a field of battle during WWII and is fitted in what appears to be typical Neo-Army style. A friend translated the signature as "Kane Sumi" and thought it could be an older blade refitted for use in the war. I will post images and measurements separately. Thank you again, this site and others are fascinating reading.

Fred

Hello! My name is Stephen, I practice sword arts, amateur sword parts construction and I love collecting Tsuba.

Initially my collection was based from a physical practicing art point of view so I didn't care too much for schools or craftsmen, recently though, I have felt I should be learning about the history and lineages so I thought Id start by joining here.

I appreciate and like the near perfect condtion Tsuba very much, but, I honestly prefer and am drawn to the Tsuba with wear and (slight) rust/damage.

thank you for your time

Stephen

Thanks for the welcome Ken, I train in Iaido at the WAKR in Perth and i also do a Kenjutsu class as a sub group too.

Iaido is great, but I have to say i prefer the all encompassing Kenjutsu. The cutting and sparring is fun and really puts a lot of the art into a reality setting.

Hi All, 

I come here to deeper my understanding of the history of Nihonto. 

I recently acquired a Katana from my grandpa, and I am fascinated by it. I posted a thread on Military swords and Nihonto discussion to seek knowledge about the wei and Kanji on the Katana. 

It is currently hanging on my wall, and i enjoy looking at it everyday. 

Have a nice day! 

-Andrei  :)