New Member Introductions

Greetings to all this evening from the Sunshine State.

I am completely new to the area of collecting within the Japanese Sword arena. More specifically tsuba. I have been a long time collector of militaria and as such established a fair size library to educate myself of such things. Thus one of my first questions is what book(s) should one obtain to educate oneself on tsuba? Is the field of collecting tsuba filled with the same landmines of those associated with Netsuke? Any information, guidance or assistance is greatly appreciated as I would like to be the future caretaker of such. I say so as we are never really owners of our collections.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

• Like 1

Welcome, Mark. Netsuke is a tough field because the fakes are better than fake tsuba. There is a thread where I posted pictures of modern tsuba - many of which looked older. There are some good websites that have decent information. Check our list of educational sites. One trap that many fall into is cast tsuba. You can search for threads about cast tsuba. It is generally quite safe to buy from NMB members. Ther are often good buys available. Check our sales section. Watch it for a while before you step in. 

There is a show in Tampa in February. I'll be there with many things including tsuba. Stop by and sale hello.

• 2 weeks later...

How rude of me, I did look for the introductions thread, obviously not well enough before posting in translation assistance. Complete novice I am, with an interest in Japanese functional art form.  I have had an interest in Nihonto for about ten years after reading all the books in my public library on sword smithing and forging, I found a website in Australia on Nihonto and was captivated by the craftsmanship of the ancient/antique craft, ouch expensive and waaay out of my price range. So I left it alone from my eyes so to not cause myself grief, I read more about Japanese history and am still reading and researching today, in the process I must have watched James Clavells "SHOGUN" 6 times over, the learning never seems to end. Years ago I think around 3 I saw a little wak on the bay( groan sigh) well it looked about right so I entered into bid, won from the US around $600. Wow pretty poor condition, no papers nothing flashy but I had my first sword. Just need to find out what this writing on the Saya translates to, I would love to have it restored, my wife loves it and wants to see it restored as well, first things first, albeit I have already put the cart before the horse with the initial novice purchase, it is simply addictive to those passionate about metalwork and history. This hobby like most I have is not an exercise to be taken lightly, costly mistakes are but a mouse click away and for the inexperienced it will bleed your savings in a flash.

Anyways Hi to all from  Western Australia, I will look and read and I doubt I will say too much as I find that is the best for learning without putting your feet into places you do not have the experience to be in.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Doing this a bit out of order as I have a few threads going, but wanted to drop into this thread and say hello.

I've been interested in Japanese culture, history, and martial arts for a long time, so my research into and appreciation for nihonto was a long time coming.

Recently I decided to go from NMB lurker to poster. On most evenings you can find me in the dojo studying Aikido or Battodo. I've traveled to Japan a couple of times and recently acquired my first nihonto.

I'm a big fan of NMB and will do my best to be a productive and constructive contributor.

Thanks!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all!

I have always loved swords and Samurai swords have always been my favorite.

When I was a lot younger I spent money on flashy cheap items I could buy via catalog and movie or TV reproductions (Yes, I loved the film "Highlander" and the TV series so much). Time went on and I had work, other interests, life. You know how it goes.

Tomorrow I turn 41 years old (oh my.... ) and as a present to myself I worked with a reputable sword dealer to purchase my first Nihonto sword. It arrives Tuesday most likely. Very excited as you would think. It's not a famous line nor in the best condition, but it just spoke to me.

I would like to learn more about old Nihonto and work my way up to a comfort level where I can buy a sword of a life time. I think this board can help me do that. Thanks for having me, I look forward to learning here.

• Like 4

My turn,

I am Yulian. I have way too many swords that I am rushing to filter through and decide which ones are to stay with me and which ones are to find their righteous owner. I wish myself long term friendships with folks from the forum and I wish the rest patience while dealing with me and my dedication to learn

Cheers

• Like 1

Hello from Florida. I have joined this board today, but have lurked here for a few or more years. I have been studying Japanese swords for about a decade so I know very little. I started off as many others by getting a POS from flea bay luckily I haven't been terribly burned but have bought gimei fitting one time. Thank you for all the knowledge and experience here on NMB. I recently purchased a tsuba, by accident, I bid low and won. I am sure it is authentic but would like to know more about this piece. It has very fine nanako and some damage but it is nice to look at.

I don't know if I can post image so I will use google cloud.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2vJ_mqrjJBKOFNSYUc0QzNQcm8

Probably this is the wrong place to post this, I will look for appropriate section to post this to.

EDIT: I have posted this question in the fittings section.

Thank you,

Richard Lando II

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello I'm a new member and I have just joined this wonderful forum I mostly collect German WW2 militaria such as Daggers and Swords but now I'm just getting more involve in collecting and learning as much as I can on Japanese swords. As a matter of fact I bought my first sword here from forum member Ray Singer.  Looking forward in learning as much as possible on Japanese swords and hopefully I can get help and contribute something here.

Kindly

Rene Chavez

• Like 4