New Member Introductions

Hello all,

My name is Chris. I started collecting in the early 1990's when I was a teenager. This was back when you could find some sweet deals at flea markets and antique shops. Ah those were the days... Anyway over the years I sold most of the swords and fittings I owned to pay this bill or that. i only have a handful of stuff I kept either because of condition issues or for use in budo (I study Jikishinkage-ryu kenjutsu and Daito-ryu aikijujutsu) or because I had some odd attachment to it. I've been digging through my stuff and I've found the few odds and ends I have left (nothing impressive sadly). I might start picking up an item here or there when I have the $$$ and the wife agrees. I tend to like fittings with eggplants on them for some odd reason. I know a few folks (at least by name) from either the old Nihonto email lists, other forums or from real life. I look forward to getting to know more of you here.

Best regards,

Chris Covington

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone I'm new to this site I came to this site to learn as much as possible about Japanese art history and relics of the pass I'm 18 years old proudly going to the serve the us military in the navy and I'm hoping to get to know all of you maybe exchange friendship and knowledge I'm just starting out and getting formilar with the set up here and I hope to make friends with you and have a nice day my name is Andrew

Hello everyone,

I am Clement from France. As everyone, i have a personnal history that lead me to develop a passion about nihonto, it's process and it's representation.

I don't know very much about Tosogu but i'm here to learn.

I often search various informations about nihonto on internet and it seems this message board is full of good advisers.

I'm at the beginning of the nihonto study adventure and i think it will be a wonderful one, I hope with your help.

Have a nice day !

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I've always had a love of swords and martial arts and have been casually collecting Japanese swords for a number of years. I've mostly had showato and gendaito. Recently, I've become a little more serious about collecting nihonto and have decided to try to increase my knowledge. That is why I've decided to stop lurking and join the site. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

My name is Randy McCall. Amongst other things, I am a martial artist (Sandan, Shoshin Yama Ryu Iaido), minor sword collector, and blogger at Tameshigiri.ca ( http://www.tameshigiri.ca ) , a relatively new blog which looks at "the Art of Cutting" as is practiced today by both traditional Eastern martial arts, the newer Western / European martial arts (based on the rediscovered Fechtbuch or instruction manual of medieval and Renaissance weapon masters), and recreational hobbyists (ala United Backyard Cutters).

Tameshigiri.ca's purview includes research and articles on: academic papers, weapons, ryuha / schools / styles, culture, history, weapon smiths, weapon effects (forensics), philosophy, theory and more. We're also attempted to compile a public database of tamershigiri/test-cutting groups, instructors, organizations, and the businesses and services which practitioners of the Art of Cutting might require. Finally, I'm slowly building directories of links related to all of the previously mentioned topics. Since this is more or less a one-man-show, everything is a work in progress.

Lastly, I am have recently joined the JSSUS.

Those who want to learn a little more about me can check the Tameshigiri.ca web site, or check my LinkedIn profile: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/randymccall/

I've already discovered a wealth of information here, and look forward to participating!

Randy McCall

Hello everyone, finally decided to register after lurking around for ages. Name's Andreas, born in South Africa, grew up in Namibia, currently live and work in Germany, 45 years old.

This forum has been great with a wealth of information which helped a lot before I bought my first Nihonto. I quickly realised that Nihonto is addictive (my wife, too :) )

Looking forward to slowly climb up the learning curve, regards to all,

Andreas