New Member Introductions

Hi everyone -

This feels like I imagine an AA meeting - but my name is Matt, am from the UK and have recently begun my voyage into Nihonto.

I find myself reading the NMB daily - which has surprised me - but it is very informative and interesting. Congratulations to you all

on maintaining such great resource.

I have not yet bought my first sword as I am still researching.

I have read J. Yumoto's book and am currently half way through N.Nakahara's book which I am finding excellent.

I found the showato test on the forum really interesting and have reread that several times.

So 'hello' to everyone and I hope you have a great day, wherever you are!

Cheers

Matt

Hi Ian -

Sounds a good idea - thank you.

My dad went to one recently in birmingham and said how busy it was. He has started to collect pistols/ revolvers - having been a serious Koi carp collector but one day deciding to sell them all and fill in the ponds!

My issue with sundays is that my son plays rugby which makes it hard to do much else that day - anyway we will see, but I think its a good idea thank you.

Matt

My dad went to one recently in birmingham and said how busy it was. He has started to collect pistols/ revolvers - having been a serious Koi carp collector but one day deciding to sell them all and fill in the ponds!

Tell your Dad For Pistols/Revolvers to try http://www.mjnoble.co.uk/ I have found him to be one of the best dealers in the UK and he is 100% honest with great prices. Birmingham fair is generally a bad place to buy as the prices are sky high.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Ive been spending quite a few hours a day on NMB over the past six weeks so I decided its about time that I introduced myself. My name is Travis Clarke and I'm from Calgary Alberta Canada. I'm pretty new to the board and I've been studying Nihonto for close to a year now. So far my main interest and study have been in the Mino tradition.

So far every question I've had about any sword in my collection or my fittings I've been able to answer with the search function. I'm sure I will participate in some discussions in the future and from what I've read so far we have a lot of extremely knowledgeable and helpful people here.

I'm always on the hunt for good books, I haven't bought any off the site yet but I will soon.

Anyways, it's very nice to meet all of you and I'm very happy that I joined up! I honestly had no idea there were so many people that shared my interests until I came across this site. Looking forward to future discussions.

Kind regards from Canada,

Travis Clarke

I guess after a couple of posts and help received from some of the gentlemen on this forum I could formally introduce myself :) My name is Brandon and I started collecting WWII memorabilia after receiving my grandfather's fairbairn sykes fatman that was given to him from a family friend returning from Italy in 1946. I've always enjoyed military history and began researching the knife and found great pleasure doing so. My next military purchase was at a garage sale shortly after in which I purchased a Japanese Arisaka T99 Nagoya No Series & bayonet. At first my collection, which is not quite extensive as I am relatively new to collecting, began with bayonets and fighting knives. I have a friend at work (Al/Pabbi) who's brother collects similar items and Al and his brother have collected Tsubas/Swords for some time and really turned me on to them just by talking about them. I made my 1st purchase of a wakizashi (see my other posts) on eBay along with a number of bayonets. I liked it so much, I purchased an officers blade at a local gun show made by Yoshimasa (special thanks to Jean for the translation assistance) followed by the purchase of an NCO sword and bare blade made by Ido Hidetoshi (special thanks to Bruno, Koichi & Mr. Bowen). I am awaiting a 5th blade that my uncle picked up for me which is a pilot's/tanker gunto. He and my father used to trade Japanese swords in the 70s and said they've bought and sold hundreds of them. Since I have started collecting, they always keep their eyes out for me. Part of what I've always liked in collecting is that I compare it to treasure hunting. I like to search the wild for treasures (garage sales, etc.) and it's always a rush to find something out there. I like to research what I've found or just general items. In general, collecting and researching these items have brought me great pleasure and have allowed me to focus my thoughts in a very interesting area and it keeps my mind occupied while living with MS & chronic pain. I keep saying this, but the people here have been extremely kind to me and I hope in 20-30 years I will have a fraction of the knowledge as the individuals here in which I may help new collectors as well. I know my blades are focused around WWII era, but it is the focus of what I collect and would like to move into more of the Nihonto blades as I become more sophisticated. I know a lot of the advice is to buy, study, sell, upgrade, study, sell, upgrade, etc. My problem is that I get too attached to the things I like and I don't want to sell. :)

-Brandon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Jayson (please don't forget to sign all posts with a name)

Think you are the first Zimbie that I have heard of with a Nihonto interest. Closest is the few of us South Africans...there are about 10-15 of us here.

If you make it down to Jhb sometime, let me know. Know a lot of gun guys in Zims...but no sword collectors that I know if. Am sure there must be a few somewhere there though.

Regards,

Brian