Thoughts on identifying

Paul C

Hi Paul,

Your sword is currently just barely katana length; it used to be an inch maybe longer but has been shortened. It looks like it has been improperly buffed; lines aren't sharp and hamon & hada (temper and grain) are indistinct. There are defects on the blade which seriously degrade the value. If I had to make a guess on age I'd say some time between the 16th and 19th centuries (not considered old for a Japanese sword) but I could be off on that. I don't think much more can be told without in-hand examination by someone knowledgeable.

Grey

• Thanks 1

Hi Grey,

My brother just brought this sword along with two other over from the UK. 

The sword has definitely been neglected and abused, not sure if my grandfather applied some Royal Artillery buffing wheel bull to it at some stage. Obviously it’s value lies in the fact that it belonged to my grandfather. If it’s value is significantly lessened by it state, then one of my kids will more likely to keep it and enjoy it as is. I did find a picture of a sword with some similarities in the tang and fuller configuration. I have attached a pic. Thanks. 

Paul C

B222913B-1445-4A91-9F8A-10711B245ADE.jpeg

Hi Paul,

The similarities in the tang and fuller are as meaningful as 2 cars being similar in that they both have 4 wheels: yes, but doesn't tell us much about the relative quality. Just noticed you're in Minnesota; what part of the state? I'm in Duluth.  Grey

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..