Shin Gunto sword signature - help with translation

Hello,

dear friends I want to ask for little help with identification of the signature on blade tang. Sword is Shin gunto with aluminum scabard. There are no other markings on tang (no showato, seki or any numbers). On one site of blade is also margings made only by paint, but I hope they are visible. There are also markings on seppa and tsuba and it looks like "IIII II/" - it is number? Same symbol is on handle made of black ink.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Best regards

Peter

DSCN5146.JPG

DSCN5147.JPG

DSCN5148.JPG

DSCN5149.JPG

Peter,

The hash marks are modified Roman Numerals, and would be read the other way round.  "/" is 5 and each horizontal is 1, so /II is "7" and IIII is "4", so "74".

The paint is "3992" and ホ or "HO" of the 1st Factory of the Korkura Army Arsenal.  The painted numbers often match the numbers on the fittings, and are believed to be put there by the shops doing the fittings.  Fittings are custom fitted to each blade, so the numbers help keep all the matching set together as the blade goes through assembly.  Don't know what it means when the numbers are different.  Sometimes it seems this happens if the blade goes through another set of fittings.  The HO on yours almost points to an arsenal numbering system.  But there's no way to know.

• Thanks 1

Hi Bruce, 

thank you very much for your information. I also have one sword, which was attic find and have painted numbers on blade tang and there are no numbers on other fittings, grip or scabbard. Sword fit perfectly to fittings and l do not see any postwar work on each seppa or tsuba, so l think whole set belongs together. I even scaned each detail of sepa on USB microscope for matching patina. So maybe all parts belongs together despite the missmatch number. Bruce do you think the sword can be gendaito? Or it is normal common sword. l can post more pictures if needed.

Again thanks for you time and help.

Best regards

Peter

Hello Bruce,

thank you for your reply. I made few photos of blade and tried my best, but we had very cloudy sky, so the light was not ideal. I hope you can see important details from picutres. Please, are there any more additional information about the swordsmith which are not mentioned in previous Mori Kunitoshi thread?

Thank you for your time and help.

Best regards

Peter

DSCN5135.JPG

DSCN5136.JPG

DSCN5139.JPG

DSCN5140.JPG

DSCN5141.JPG

DSCN5144.JPG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..