Old blade ?

Chrometank

Hey Paul, 

A couple of things, where are you in Aus? Andrew is in Victoria and is fully traditionally trained Togishi, and a good bloke, so if you are local to him, may be an option … he’s very good at Kantei!

On your last comment just be aware when they shorten a blade it will be from the tang up. A boshi will disappear generally due to damage in kissaki, and subsequent ‘restoration’.. no boshi = fatal flaw. Only really forgivable in truely old blades of historical significance (or if you don’t care :) ) … on the other hand, boshi that are ‘just hanging in there’ or much thinner than the rest of the hamon are quite common as the kissaki cops more punishment during a swords life and often needs more steel removed during polish to rectify damage ..

Nakahara’s book, Facts and Fundamentals of Japanese swords has a few pages on this .. 

cheers Rich

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Richard Thomas said:

Hey Paul, 

A couple of things, where are you in Aus? Andrew is in Victoria and is fully traditionally trained Togishi, and a good bloke, so if you are local to him, may be an option … he’s very good at Kantei!

On your last comment just be aware when they shorten a blade it will be from the tang up. A boshi will disappear generally due to damage in kissaki, and subsequent ‘restoration’.. no boshi = fatal flaw. Only really forgivable in truely old blades of historical significance (or if you don’t care :) ) … on the other hand, boshi that are ‘just hanging in there’ or much thinner than the rest of the hamon are quite common as the kissaki cops more punishment during a swords life and often needs more steel removed during polish to rectify damage ..

Nakahara’s book, Facts and Fundamentals of Japanese swords has a few pages on this .. 

cheers Rich

Great information Rich, much appreciated,  I am in Jervis bay NSW.

Thanks for the tip on the book, I am used to getting a little technical with firearms but this Nihonto is a whole new level  ! Apart from getting my head around new terms, most of them are in Japanese. old dogs new tricks  !! I really do appreciate all the help I am getting here.

All the best

Paul 

5 hours ago, Darkcon said:

P.S I like the tempering part a lot. I see yakidashi (the beginning of the tempering part) so it could be a Shinto piece... or it's just the photos 😜

IMHO, I don’t see yakidashi in Paul’s blade .. unless I’m missing ‘adding’ something :) 

E62F3544-D46C-499D-AE3A-2E97A5F69797.thumb.jpeg.bc0fbddefc22c6f90033b74c9db602e4.jpeg

I do see it in Bryce’s sword…

Paul, Jervis bay .. tough place to hang out 😂… 

If you do decide to get into this fascinating subject , a couple of great books to start with would be the Nakahara mentioned before, and The connoisseur’s book of Japanese Swords by Nagayama.

Rich

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Richard Thomas said:

IMHO, I don’t see yakidashi in Paul’s blade .. unless I’m missing ‘adding’ something :) 

E62F3544-D46C-499D-AE3A-2E97A5F69797.thumb.jpeg.bc0fbddefc22c6f90033b74c9db602e4.jpeg

If you do decide to get into this fascinating subject , a couple of great books to start with would be the Nakahara mentioned before, and The connoisseur’s book of Japanese Swords by Nagayama.

Rich

Thanks Rich, I can feel it drawing me in !! It looks like a hobby you where you couldn't learn it all.

I will look those books up, cheers 

12 hours ago, Richard Thomas said:

Rich

This is what I saw.. 

J.

Screenshot_20220310-154050_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..