Mystery wakizashi

O koumori

I have an ubu wakizashi signed Bungo no kuni ju Yukizane 豊後国住行真. The nagasa is 53.3 cm. The blade is shinogi-zukuri, and it exhibits a rather pronounced koshi-zori sori (did I stutter?) of 2.0 cm.

When I purchased this blade years ago, I bought it for the interesting sori and the O-itame hada which is clearly visible (a great study piece).

Unfortunately, I cannot find an oshigata for signature comparison. The only mei I can find that comes close to this is a listing in Markus Sesko’s Swordsmiths of Japan, where he lists one that reads “Bungo no Kuni Yukizane saku.”

Now the conundrum:

When I bought the blade, despite my skepticism, the Japanese seller claimed that the blade was made during the Kamakura period.  The Yukizane smith listed by Markus worked during Antei, 1247 – 1249.

I have NEVER seen nor heard of an ubu Kamakura wakizashi.

So, gimei?  

Thoughts?

Anyone have a signed blade for comparison?

Thanks,

Dan K

mei.png

blade.png

• Like 1

Dan,

I agree with Kirill I don't think this is a Kamakura period blade. My guess would be Momoyama or even a little later. As you say there aren't any ubu Kamakura period wakizashi, at least none that I have ever seen either in hand or in references.

were it simply nijimei Yukizane I would definitely vote as genuine. Plenty of unlisted smiths, and Yuki is typical for Bungo, though not like this one.

But - the signature is poorly written. Its messy, with highly uneven characters, the pace is very tight in the beginning and very broad at the end.

Generally Bungo no kuni only are pre-Muromachi, long Muromachi signatures are bungo no kuni Takada and later you get Fujiwara addition. There are exceptions though.

This might be gimei.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..