A legit Type 98? Hmmm...

Here’s my try at what’s suspicious (still learning 98s): The obvious newly and poorly wrapped handle. The shape of the handle. The very noticeable pattern on the blade makes it likely a Chinese manufacture. The habaki is disgusting. The scabbard throat is very poor.

Probably a franken-sword made with authentic as well as fake parts. 

• Like 1

The immediate red flags for me were the Tsuka wrap, the blade's shape, and the Habaki. Upon closer inspection, I noticed more flaws as Will and Chris have noted. The seller needs to get educated and adjust his price accordingly - or salvage the authentic parts and sell those individually. 

1 hour ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

Nothing authentic here. Technically this is trying to be a Type 94.

Yes, John. I was so focused on the immediate red flags that I forgot to take note of the saya's double haikan which would be indicative of a Type 94. At any rate, this thing is a big nothing burger!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..