Digital Microscope Use for Nihonto

Hello,

A little while ago I bought a somewhat cheap digital microscope to see if it would add any value to my study of swords and fittings. So far, I like what I have been able to get from it.

Lightning remains the biggest challenge, as too direct or strong washes out the images, but off set weak light imparts a sepia tone to the pictures looking at swords. Still a work in progress.

I started with some tsuba as it's a smaller item. What came out really well was the fine chisel work on a kao; you can see the marking and scalloping movement used by the metalsmith to make the fine curves:

Tomohide_kao1.thumb.jpg.0292fc10e0f2c797c6672745d34cfddb.jpg

I took some pictures of a tanto I have. It's hard as you have to pick a certain feature to hone in on, due to the depth of activity in blades. Here I was looking nie and hamon sungashi. 

masa_boshi_LEFT2.thumb.jpg.383d9b5ef38e1d19bd47d317d8eb3290.jpgmasa_boshiLEFT1.thumb.jpg.4b52468b8f83beca71adafe0b97d1980.jpgmasa_sungashi1.thumb.jpg.640cf91e5c04ea3cb7c2a57aa219e772.jpg

• Like 1

Great results! Better than many of my results with fairly pricey models.

Which microscope are you using?

(I use two Dino-Lites to study things like workmanship, signatures, etc. One is the 1.3 megapixel AD4113T-I2V IR/UV model that can sometimes expose restorations, repairs, or faded lacquer layers. The other is the 5 megapixel AM7515MZT, a high-resolution model. I'm sure the latter is great on a Windows PC but I'm lacking important functionality on Mac which is a shame. It is almost always over-exposed. There is a mechanical workaround, but I don't want to use workarounds at this kind of price level.)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Peter D said:

Great results! Better than many of my results with fairly pricey models.

Which microscope are you using?

(I use two Dino-Lites to study things like workmanship, signatures, etc. One is the 1.3 megapixel AD4113T-I2V IR/UV model that can sometimes expose restorations, repairs, or faded lacquer layers. The other is the 5 megapixel AM7515MZT, a high-resolution model. I'm sure the latter is great on a Windows PC but I'm lacking important functionality on Mac which is a shame. It is almost always over-exposed. There is a mechanical workaround, but I don't want to use workarounds at this kind of price level.)

Hi Peter,

If you search "LCD digital microscope" on Amazon you will see many models. The one I bought is no longer there, but around $120 the models are similar. 12MP and 7 inch screen. I run it off my PC as I cannot figure out how to operate it just by itself (no user guide supplied, have not found good one online). But my PC is in the den which has crappy lighting, thus my light issues. 

18 hours ago, Fuuten said:

Dear Jeremiah,

Looks cool! I remember having a little microscope like yours (usb?), at work once. How about with a pocket lens? I (re-)discovered these photos on my computer last week. IMG_0953.thumb.jpg.482026bb3abcf68323698efc453cfd5b.jpgIMG_0952.thumb.jpg.e8c8c5a97a562e22976af775487cab76.jpgIMG_0954.thumb.jpg.80fe6bb8f986ec22090677b9b94f193a.jpg

Wow! That's a great handheld! I have a small one I think 2X just for quick looks but it's impossible to take a picture with it.

Creative folks here, let's see some pictures!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..