Darcy Brockbank - A Tribute, by Robert Hughes

Darcy Brockbank: A Tribute
“The captain of his soul”

By Robert Hughes

Darcy.jpg

Ted Tenold, Darcy’s close friend and longtime business associate had the unenviable task of sharing this tragedy with our community. Thus, we began to mourn the loss of our nihonto associate and friend…. While at the same time, many condolences have registered Darcy’s great achievements and his educational legacy. This is the part that really deserves a life celebration for there is much that he generously shared!

Just as one piece of a puzzle never represents the completed work, singular perceptions never define the magnitude of a person’s character. So, from the ever increasing list of heartfelt condolences following Ted’s notification, I have borrowed a few essential elements to quote here. I hope no one minds… By assembling a few shared thoughts, quite an amazing picture emerges. The condolences and reflections are like small pieces of tile, and when combined leave us with a large life mosaic. The mosaic records our sense of loss while recognizing the contributions he made to us. Darcy masterfully bundled three somewhat incongruous elements together: sword scholarship, friendship, and commercial activity. As many have attested, it truly was a blessing to be the beneficiary of even one, if not all three elements. Many important sword and fittings collections arose or were enhanced through either guidance or acquisitions from Darcy. With intelligence and a superb sense of refinement, Darcy had a great eye and appreciation for fine samurai art and beauty in life. With all his accomplishments, he was never vain. A trait he may have inherited from his recently deceased father who had been a well-respected teacher and school principal in Ontario. The apple never falls far from the tree…

Mosaic Life Tiles

“most respected and trusted scholar” John V. (Glencoe Il.)
“inconceivable” Stephen (Iowa)
he would do things like get a bunch of sleeping bags and give them to the homeless on the coldest nights in Montreal” Curran (Pirate Coves, USA)“nihonto legend… I’m crushed.” “He didn’t tolerate unethical dealings and fraud.” Brian (South Africa)
“no words adequate to express this terrible loss” Ray (Florida)
“amazing wealth of knowledge” Greg F (Australia)
“a living legend has gone” Chris (Bavaria)

"a devasting loss” Jussi (Finland)“
“a leader in the nihonto community” Mark S. (Illinois)

“his reach was far, his knowledge was great, his friendship will be missed” B. Hennick (Canada)
“he shared his time and knowledge which was more precious” Matt (Virginia)
“very passionate guy searching for the truth” Robert (New York)
“my mind is in turmoil” Jean L. (France)

“and the sleepless nights he spent answering even the most ridiculous of emails and random enquiries in his honest, lengthy, didactic manner. Trying to teach, elucidate, steer. Often taking other people’s burdens upon himself.” Michael S. (UK)

And so on…. the mosaic is taking shape…..

Those that followed Darcy’s recent adventures know that during the onset of the pandemic, he relocated to Japan from Thailand. Little by little, flight opportunities diminished and Darcy found himself a temporary but long term resident in Japan. It was not a hardship arrangement, as his residency became the Grand Hyatt in Roppongi Hills. As his stay morphed into months, Darcy became a hotel feature and dined regularly with the manager. This, in turn, endeared special treatment and eventually he received a luxury suite for a near regular room rate. As a long term hotel resident, the staff found him friendly and interesting. Even during the winter months, he could be seen in the neighborhood walking around in a black t-shirt and short pants. Growing up in Canada, he had developed some immunity to the cold. Japanese were amazed.

During this period in Japan, Darcy became close to Hisashi Saito of Ginza Seikodo. They made a habit of dining together regularly. I often joined them. We searched for venues that remained opened and that served libations which proved to be a tricky arrangement. This was during the pre-vaccination phase. These were eerie nights out because we often found ourselves the only patrons in the venues. Infection rates were like waves rising and falling. During a short window of opportunity when infections had dropped and there was a temporary respite in civic restrictions, the Grand Hyatt set up an evening of entertainment with the great Konishiki Yasokichi on ukulele and his wife as vocalist. Konishiki was the first non-Japanese born sumo wrestler to reach ozeki. Darcy got three tickets and we made the best of a great evening together. As you will see below, sword dealers are big celebrities, so even Konishiki decided to photo bomb our selfie! There were only a dozen tables and we lowered our guard… Darcy was generous as always and he picked up the tab. He loved hearing stories of my four decades in the sword trade in Japan. One night he suggested that I should initiate fireside chats on-line, smoke a pipe, and tell sword stories. We shared many laughs…

Darcy1.jpg

When I think of Darcy, Henley’s poem “Invictus” comes to mind. Darcy accomplished much and took bold strides through life. He truly had an unconquerable soul, for which he was master and captain. As a fellow Canadian, I am proud to have been one of his friends. I raise a glass of fine Primitivo Di Maduria in his honor!

Invictus

By William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeoning of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

Please continue to leave individual messages under Ted’s original notice. My intention is not to hijack his thread…

Stay well!

Robert Hughes

• Like 12
  • Love 14

Thank you Robert I believe you have eloquently expressed the experiences and very deep feelings of many here. Darcy was a one off and his memory will be long cherished and his contribution appreciated for very many years to come.

I spoke to him on a phone call from Canada early in February. As always he was incredibly helpful and we shared some ideas and memories. We were talking about him coming to the UK to look at some pieces. I so regret that we hadn't had the opportunity to do it sooner.

• Like 5

Bob. Exceptional.  20 years ago I had agreed to meet him in Tokyo to show him around the sword shops and introduce him to the owners. The owner of the first shop had set up a table with one blade, a Tanto, I looked at the blade while Darcy watched.

Then he looked and I showed him the traits to look for while explaining to him about
MASAMUNE. When we left he was really in the clouds and as we walked he stopped and said to me..” That is the first time I learned how to look at a sword. “ He was so happy and never looked back in his quest to study and own the best he could ever since that day. Rita and I have you in our thoughts. RIP old friend.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, rbenson said:
MASAMUNE. When we left he was really in the clouds and as we walked he stopped and said to me..” That is the first time I learned how to look at a sword. “ He was so happy and never looked back in his quest to study and own the best he could ever since that day. Rita and I have you in our thoughts. RIP old friend.

Hi Bob-     glad to see you here.

I remember Darcy was already flying along back then and learning from you. He was already writing and having me proofread some of it. Especially on Masamune's 10 students. I have a lot of them saved down.

For the sake of memory, I've attached one of his early writeups from 2003. 

About Gojo instead of Masamune and his 10 students, I went up to Montreal to see this one. I'd never seen a Gojo before.

**heck... it exceeds the maximum file size.

Edit:    Thanks to help from another member, trying a Dropbox link

https://www.dropbox.com/home/darcy?preview=gojo.pdf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..