Fuchi Kashira size

Marco

Good morning, 

a very basic question: 

I read here and there “wakizashi size” or “katana size” while speaking about Fuchi Kashira but I see different opinions of what is the right size for considering a piece done for a Katana or Wakizashi so: what are the sizes under which a fuchi or a kashira are considered “for wakizashi”?

thanks

Marco

As a general arbitrary rule the FK for a shoto is slightly smaller than the daito. This is aesthetically more pleasing. Really though, why would the tsuka be smaller in circumference, length notwithstanding, compromising the grip even though one handed? I liken the reality of it as similar to shoes. You fit to the user.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Remember trawling through Ebay quite a few years ago looking for a Fuchi for a rather large katana.

I cant tell you what size for a wakizashi but looked at hundreds described as "Katana" size, never forgot 39mm as thats what the majority seemed to be.

For a Wak,  37mm rings a bell, maybe ?

Not an exact science, just my observations.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the information.

2 hours ago, Franco D said:

One way to tell if a fuchi was intended/designed for a wakizashi is that it will be slightly indented (flattened) on one edge of the front rim to accommodate the use of a side fitting. 

the slightly different shape to accommodate the other fittings is a very good point!

4 hours ago, John A Stuart said:

As a general arbitrary rule the FK for a shoto is slightly smaller than the daito. This is aesthetically more pleasing. Really though, why would the tsuka be smaller in circumference, length notwithstanding, compromising the grip even though one handed? I liken the reality of it as similar to shoes. You fit to the user.

these are all really good points too, especially the one saying that the tsuka cannot be smaller if a sword is one handed.

thanks you all really much for the answers 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..